Registering and reaching 75 posts will remove ads
TheToxicKnight

How do I equip weapons and gear properly?

So I've been wondering for a while ok so I start a character I'm level 1 so I get level 1 gear do I equip the gear that makes the attributes green like that makes toughness go up for example or what about the weapons or gear that has the down arrow red do I equip those instead? I mean is it just all about your personal preference like if this gun is good or whatever I'd just like a very easy explanation I'm sorry if I sound like a noob but frankly when it comes to games like this I just pay attention to what shows green or something like that lol

Registering and reaching 75 posts will remove ads

That's the idea. Weapons have your dps number and then the orange/red arrows shows the added damage from the weapon mods. 

They separated extra mod damage to make it easier to compare your main weapons (which are going to have mods) to your looted weapons (without mods).

Unfortunately, while you're correct that a lot of it is personal prfernce, there really isn't any "easy" explanation.  Gearing up your character is different depending on if you're lvl 30 or not.  

Lvl 1-29 I pretty much went with what year was the highest lvl and rating for both weapons and gear, I wasn't concerned with a "build" because it doesn't matter until you get to 30 and can equip HE and set pieces.  My first character I leveled slowly and would stop every mission I so to change our weapons and gear.  On my second toon, I power leveled her and only changed our gear and weapons every couple of levels because I didn't want to waste the time changing things out when it didn't matter.

Once I hit 30, I decided on a build for each of my characters and equipped gear based on what would further that build.  My main runs either dual AR (ultimately when I get 2 more AB pieces) or AR/SMG.  Both of his guns are 204 and have great talents that are all unlocked.  He's got like 1-2 268 pieces, 2 229 HE pieces and 2-3 240 pieces for armor.  

So, I could get tons of 229 weapons and 268 armor, but if the armor is things like Nomad or DE and the weapons are LMG or shottys, I probably won't equip them because they won't support my build despite the fact that they could be all technically better items.  

"You blocking with your head again!" "Eeyuuh, stink like dead baboon in here!" ~ Lo Wang

Check out my YouTube channel for Division content -

https://www.youtube.com/deadsockpuppet

forumsig2.png

On 06/08/2016 at 7:26 AM, TheToxicKnight said:

So I've been wondering for a while ok so I start a character I'm level 1 so I get level 1 gear do I equip the gear that makes the attributes green like that makes toughness go up for example or what about the weapons or gear that has the down arrow red do I equip those instead? I mean is it just all about your personal preference like if this gun is good or whatever I'd just like a very easy explanation I'm sorry if I sound like a noob but frankly when it comes to games like this I just pay attention to what shows green or something like that lol

Before you get to level 25-30 ... don't worry. 

Anything you get that improves a core stat (DPS, Toughness etc) just equip it, only exception is weapons that you don't like using like shotguns or sniper rifles....they just might not be "your thing" so you won't do as well anyway. With Weapons, keep an eye out and make use of attachments as they significantly boost damage. 

Its only once you start picking up Gear Score items and items with Mod slots that it gets more complex.

So just enjoy the game for now .... meta can wait. 

Edited by quinch1199
  • Upvote 1

In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Manhattan underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The Division Team.