Registering and reaching 75 posts will remove ads
Cornbread243

Don't Understand DarkZone

So the first time going into the DZ, I had no clue what I was doing and everything slaughtered me. Horribly. After reaching lvl 10 in campaign, I went back to the DZ, got lucky enough to be matched with gamers playing rather well, and hit DZ lvl 10 pretty quick 

I'm now campaign lvl 17, but can no longer get anywhere in the DarkZone. Even dropped to lvl 9. Everything around me is now a minimum lvl 15, but I can't make any progress. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need a team?

Registering and reaching 75 posts will remove ads
DeadSockPuppet    1,321

When you're character is under lvl 30, you can run the DZ solo, but you really need to stick to the simple farming loops in DZ01-02.  The problem with that is that you'll run into the griefers and trolls, so you have to be ready to run and don't get too attached to the loot you get.  If you're a more skilled player, you can run routes in DZ05-06 and avoid many griefers, but this will be much more difficult (NPCs) and slower going.  Personally, I'm not the best PvP player, so I find running in a team works better for me.

The benefit of running the DZ when you're lower than lvl 30 and leveling your DZ level is that overall it's easier to do when you're lower level because the trolls aren't as powerful.  Then, when you get to lvl 30 you can purchase better high end items from the DZ vendors that often require you to be DZ lvl 75+ to get them.  

All of the above considered, once update 1.4 drops and you'll be able to have even chances of getting any loot from any game activity, the DZ won't be necessary to acquire loot, IMO.  So, you have to decide if you want to run DZ when in about a month you may not need to go into it.  

It will really come down to do you like the content and playstyle needed in the DZ?  If yes, keep grinding it low level.  If not, keep progressing your character in the story and work the PvE content and then when 1.4 drops you'll have better chance at the same loot from the DZ. 

DeadSockPuppet    1,321

By low level I was really referring to anyone lvl 29 and under, so basically characters that can't have the end-game gear (high end and gear sets).   

When you're lvl 30, the DZ is broken down into brackets based on GS: 0-160, 161-200, 201-230, 231+.  When you're lvl 29 and below, the DZ is bracketed based on your character level: 1-14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-30 (this last one is the GS bracket listed above).  

To have the best experience, you want to be in the DZ when you're character is either lvl 13, 19, 24 or 29, so you're at the top of the bracket.   What I would suggest, is leveling your character until s/he hits one of those 4 bracket caps and then go back into the DZ, if you want to.  You don't have to worry about your character level in the DZ, because your kill XP goes to your DZ.  If you go in lvl 14 you'll stay at the top of the bracket indefinitely, until you go out and complete PvE activities and gain a level. 

Some other note on the GS brackets  for the DZ once you get to level 30:

- The gear score for the bracket is NOT the one displayed in your character menus, there's a different formula

- GS (for DZ and the displayed one) look at equipped weapons and armor, weapons and armor in your inventory, and weapons and armor in your stash.  

• Upvote 2

DeadSockPuppet    1,321

Here's the full breakdown on how GS is calculated for both non-DZ and DZ:

From a previous post of mine:

The GS showing on your character takes into account your 3 weapons and your 6 year pieces.   For example, if you have all 229 weapons and 268 gear pieces, your GS would be 255 on your screen: (3x229 + 6x268)/9 = (687 +  1608)/9 = 2295/9 = 255.

The GS for DZ purposes looks at your highest GS non-sidearm weapon (primary or secondary) and your 6 gear pieces.  Using the same example above, your DZ GS would be 262: (229 + 6x268)/7 = (229 + 1608)/7 = 1837/7 = 262.4.  

In both of the above examples, the game looks at equipped items, items in your inventory, and items in your stash when it figures the highest value GS item for each location.  The different calculation for the DZ GS was created to counteract cheating players that would equip really low level secondary and sidearm weapons to artificially decrease their GS to get into lower level DZs to troll lower level players.  

• Upvote 2