• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

N00B guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, being a N00B - I was hoping to find a general game guide.  That is, how to play the game.  How to use cover?  How to take down shields?  How to kill named x?  Etc.

Am I just not reading the right posts or?

I find the AI brutal   - There is no way I should be hit by every bullet while running behind cover, even though I am not "in cover". Yes, I can hear the shots and the hits to me.

I find using a game controller (my norm on the PC) frustrating - when I try and run while in cover, I don't run, or worse, stand up and run in place - dying.  When I am being shot while on any elevation, I can't just run off the edge.  I get stuck in cover all the time - usually being shot.  I can't figure out close combat cause I am constantly getting stuck in geometry - and dying.

While I find many of the aspects of this game interesting, I find solo play (I am now lowly lvl 14) frustrating by the above.  What am I missing?

...gene

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
I'm a PCer, so not much help with the console mechanics. However, have you checked out the various perks? Some improve protection for running to cover.

(And , I'm assuming you are running by selecting the next cover first.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
I would start going through old YouTube videos by Arekkz, SkillUp & MarcoStyle.  Possibly tweet at them to see if they can't point out which vids to start with.  They've all been making content for the game since the beginning and are pretty willing to help others enjoy the game.  

As for cover controls, I play on PS4 and have noticed some odd hiccups sometimes with cover and movement that I just started noticing since update 1.4/1.5.  I'm not sure if it's something on my end (settings, controller issues, user error) or something with the game, but I sometimes have issues engaging/disengaging cover and with the camera moving in the wrong direction.  For me, they're minor frustrations, but nothing gamebreaking.  Not sure if this is what you're talking about or not.  

When I am being shot while on any elevation, I can't just run off the edge.
This frustrates me too, but you get used to it.  They don't let you jump off any height (possibly to your death), just the way the game was made.  

Voyager42

Community Agent
I think the guides and YouTube videos are great but IMO the best way to learn the nuances of the game are to find a good group to roll with and go from there. Ask plenty of questions. 

genedjr

Community Elite
I'm a PCer,
I play on a PC, but use a logitech game controller.  This is one game I may have to figure out how to use a keyboard/mouse.  It's pretty twitchy (meaning very fast input is required).

I would start going through old YouTube videos by Arekkz, SkillUp & MarcoStyle.  Possibly tweet at them to see if they can't point out which vids to start with.  They've all been making content for the game since the beginning and are pretty willing to help others enjoy the game.  
OK, I will - I was expecting to see a N00B sticky.  Maybe I should create one, but then I really suck - LOL.

IAs for cover controls, I play on PS4 and have noticed some odd hiccups .  sometimes with cover and movement that I just started noticing since update 1.4/1.5.  I'm not sure if it's something on my end (settings, controller issues, user error) or something with the game, but I sometimes have issues engaging/disengaging cover and with the camera moving in the wrong direction.  For me, they're minor frustrations, but nothing gamebreaking.  Not sure if this is what you're talking about or not.  

This frustrates me too, but you get used to it.  They don't let you jump off any height (possibly to your death), just the way the game was made.  
OK, I started just before 1.5 (maybe an hour before lol).  I am OK with running up to a edge when it's very high, but being stuck on a box next to the ground is BS.  Hopefully it's a tweek that will be fixed.

I have reset a few controls, like not automatically jumping over/down/up anything.  And I use the move in cover pretty much continuously.

Another WTF - When I use the pulse (2nd level) it will say no threats found and I turn the corner and get jumped.  Like I said WTF?  Because of this (as above) I use the move in cover pretty much continuously.  Really slows the game down.  But not as slow as dying.  I have also noticed that it will say 1 threat and when I shoot that guy 6 guys will show up.  WTF?  Are they beaming them down <snicker>?

On guns (as this is a N00B post :)) From say lvl 5 to 10 I was getting fairly good guns (finds, sales, crafting) compared to bad guys, now very little at 14 - am I missing something? (oh yeah - contact the guys above LOL).

OK, from lvl 1 to 5 I was about to quit the game, the AI was simply too brutal. With little/no guiding instructions (remember we are supposedly highly trained agents) it continuously pissed me off. If my son have not kept prodding me on, I would be done, 'f**k' $50.  UBISoft think on that and that I would not recommend the game.  Actually, neutral now, not bashing, but not recommending.

OK, alot of crap above.  Thanks for putting up with me.

...gene

genedjr

Community Elite
I think the guides and YouTube videos are great but IMO the best way to learn the nuances of the game are to find a good group to roll with and go from there. Ask plenty of questions. 
I like groups, but I love solo.  And from what I hear, good groups are hard to find.  But then peeps piss and moan about groups and rarely say how good they were.  And, oh yeah, I suck (slow).  But hey thanks, I may just reach out and see (BTW my in game name is the same as here - genedjr)

...gene

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
Fortunately or unfortunately, all gear is subject to RNG.  Like any RPG, what drops is random and the stats for the items are random too.  The odds are that over the course of your toons play, you should get tons of average stuff, some crap and some good stuff.  

That's from drops.  Stores will have differing pieces to buy as well as blueprints to buy that you can make items from.  Most of these items will change on a weekly basis, so keep checking each week for new items to buy and build.  

As for instruction or how to play, the best way to run (especially solo) is to go to an area, activate the safe house, complete all of the side missions (light blue pentagons) and events (blue, yellow & green items).  Once you've done those, you'll probably be leveled and geared enough to compete any story missions in the area.  By taking this route you'll kill three birds with one stone: 1.) hit lvl 30 by the time you complete the final mission, 2.) see the well designed city that Massive created for us to play in and 3.) clear all the missions, side missions and events, which you need done for some of the end-game content. 

Hopefully this info helps and feel free to keep asking questions if you like and we'll see if we can help. 

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
As for instruction or how to play, the best way to run (especially solo) is to go to an area, activate the safe house, complete all of the side missions (light blue pentagons) and events (blue, yellow & green items).  Once you've done those, you'll probably be leveled and geared enough to compete any story missions in the area.  By taking this route you'll kill three birds with one stone: 1.) hit lvl 30 by the time you complete the final mission, 2.) see the well designed city that Massive created for us to play in and 3.) clear all the missions, side missions and events, which you need done for some of the end-game content. 
Best way to proceed in the game. Have to say that if you do this method you will hit level 30 WELL BEFORE the final missions... you'll likely have at least two, maybe three missions still do go and you'll be hitting the last mission at Gear Score 130+ 

So, going into the last missions over powered... absolutely a good plan. 

quinch1199

I find the AI brutal   - There is no way I should be hit by every bullet while running behind cover, even though I am not "in cover". Yes, I can hear the shots and the hits to me.
Yes, accuracy of the Ai is built in to over compensate for their seemed lack of human intelligence but since 1.4 the Ai is significantly better now and the game has become very much harder.

I find using a game controller (my norm on the PC) frustrating - when I try and run while in cover, I don't run, or worse, stand up and run in place - dying
I find your lack of mouse & keyboard use disturbing young padiwan ... but more seriously getting "cover stuck" is endemic with all control systems unfortunately. It just sometimes takes a few attempts to get off that cover!! Sometimes I just have to perform a roll to get off it (just remember to be looking away from the cover when you do this or you'll stay stuck!)

When I am being shot while on any elevation, I can't just run off the edge
As said above, its just to stop killing yourself by fall damage. Unfortunately the game doesn't take into account the fall damage being less than the incoming enemy fire damage!!

As for tips for new players I'd also suggest YouTube videos ... I know someone doing a series from scratch where they start a new character and run through the story using patch 1.5 .. .oh yeah...its ME! lol! 

So you could check out the videos in the video's section of these forums (top left of forums > Main Menu > Drop down > Videos)

genedjr

Community Elite
As for tips for new players I'd also suggest YouTube videos ... I know someone doing a series from scratch where they start a new character and run through the story using patch 1.5 .. .oh yeah...its ME! lol! 

So you could check out the videos in the video's section of these forums (top left of forums > Main Menu > Drop down > Videos)
will do.  Thanks.

I find your lack of mouse & keyboard use disturbing young padiwan ... but more seriously getting "cover stuck" is endemic with all control systems unfortunately. It just sometimes takes a few attempts to get off that cover!! Sometimes I just have to perform a roll to get off it (just remember to be looking away from the cover when you do this or you'll stay stuck!)
yeah well, I was a platformer for a long time and got used to the controller.  But I agree, keyboard/mouse is better for this game at least.  Thanks for the suggestions.

...gene

BTW - is there a way to change the view when editing?  Quoting produces a black box with dark grey letters - very hard to read.

quinch1199

BTW - is there a way to change the view when editing?  Quoting produces a black box with dark grey letters - very hard to read.
Try changing the Theme of the forum as its displayed. 

At the VERY bottom of the page, next to Privacy Policy and Contact Us. Themes will change the colours of the forums for you and it might be the issue you have. 

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
Try changing the Theme of the forum as its displayed. 

At the VERY bottom of the page, next to Privacy Policy and Contact Us. Themes will change the colours of the forums for you and it might be the issue you have. 
Never tinkered with the theme, but those alternate colors are hideous ?

genedjr

Community Elite
thanks all for the assistance - much appreciated.

To keep from dying all the time (I suck remember) I have been wondering around aimlessly just killing off MOBs as they appear at least 2 lvls below me.  While I get EXP/Gear the progress, as expected is very slow.  Even then for mini-bosses, I hit and run, hit and run.  Another interesting thing that I can't seem to understand is the same mini-boss will come out and just not take any damage and run up, stomp my turret and kill me.  That will happen a few times - then he suddenly takes damage and dies - I have not figured that one out.

And what is with all the clothes?  I don't have that many sets of clothes in reality.  Is there a limit?  I can't seem to sell them or give them away. Do I really care?

buying vs crafting vs drops - after lvl 10 drops seem to be just crap (lvl 17 now).  Crafting is hit or miss as I am not doing my level missions/encounters the blueprints are not useful.  I did run around selling everything I could and bought my first purple.  It's nice but the selection is horrible and takes 5 days to refresh - again not useful.

I have many more questions, but this is enough for now.

[note] still soloing.  I may create another char for grouping.

Thanks again

...gene

quinch1199

To keep from dying all the time (I suck remember) I have been wondering around aimlessly just killing off MOBs as they appear at least 2 lvls below me.  While I get EXP/Gear the progress, as expected is very slow.  Even then for mini-bosses, I hit and run, hit and run.  Another interesting thing that I can't seem to understand is the same mini-boss will come out and just not take any damage and run up, stomp my turret and kill me.  That will happen a few times - then he suddenly takes damage and dies - I have not figured that one out.
Hit-N-Run are the tactics to use and continue to use. You also need to be aware of "Aggro" management...with often multiple gangs of mobs roaming in the same areas you need to make sure you don't drag more mobs into you as you can handle. So, scope out the target area, engage from medium-long distance if possible, keep dropping back to string the enemy numbers out.

Grenades are also great control methods to delay enemy chasing you so you can set up. 

And what is with all the clothes?  I don't have that many sets of clothes in reality.  Is there a limit?  I can't seem to sell them or give them away. Do I really care?
Purely vanity items. Plenty are cool. Do you care? Depends if you worry what your character looks like but some players really care. 

buying vs crafting vs drops - after lvl 10 drops seem to be just crap (lvl 17 now).  Crafting is hit or miss as I am not doing my level missions/encounters the blueprints are not useful.  I did run around selling everything I could and bought my first purple.  It's nice but the selection is horrible and takes 5 days to refresh - again not useful.
buying vs crafting depends on what blueprints you have. Missions give you some really good ones so keep checking! 

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
Clothing doesn't take up inventory space, so the more you have the more you can customize and accessorize your toon and if you're lucky you'll have tons of weapon skins (also don't take any inventory space) and you can match your hardware to your outfits.

As for crafting, I didn't do a ton until I started getting HE blueprints from vendors after hitting lvl 30.  Under 30 I just break most things down to start stockpiling mats until I hit lvl 30 and can work on HE crafting.  

genedjr

Community Elite
you can drop your turret on top of things like fountains, walls, postboxes... He cant climb those to stomp out you turret.
Bah - never thought of that.  Thanks.

Purely vanity items. Plenty are cool. Do you care? Depends if you worry what your character looks like but some players really care. 
lol, just clutter to me.  And annoying that I have to go into the item to view it to clear 'new' tag for inventory.

All good stuff - thanks again everyone.

...gene

quinch1199

Bah - never thought of that.  Thanks.

lol, just clutter to me.  And annoying that I have to go into the item to view it to clear 'new' tag for inventory.

All good stuff - thanks again everyone.

...gene
Note that support stations etc on top of "things" become shooting targets instead so its a toss up really.... do you want it to be shot at or stomped...its a situational choice. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements