• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Dedicated Forums?

Should I create a dedicated forum for Wildlands?

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Naw

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

g1nt3r

Death Otter
So I was thinkin, I own wildlandsforums.com and I want to do something with it. Should I create a dedicated forum for Ghost Recon Wildlands?

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
I agree with the comments from above.  Out of curiosity, would you migrate the Wildlands content from here to the new site?   Also, I don't know it if makes sense, but maybe a domain name change for this site to something like thetomclancyforums.com, tomclancyforums.com or tomclancygames.com.  Not sure how hard that would be but then you could keep the site as-is and possibly add a section for other Clancy games like Rainbow 6 Siege.  

supercat

Fashion Recon
I agree with this dude. Just make a tomclancy forum, then give a couple of section for division and wildlands.

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
I agree with the comments from above.  Out of curiosity, would you migrate the Wildlands content from here to the new site?   Also, I don't know it if makes sense, but maybe a domain name change for this site to something like thetomclancyforums.com, tomclancyforums.com or tomclancygames.com.  Not sure how hard that would be but then you could keep the site as-is and possibly add a section for other Clancy games like Rainbow 6 Siege.  
As in all on one website? Or as in having sub-domains for whichever game you'd be playing?

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
As in all on one website? Or as in having sub-domains for whichever game you'd be playing?
Set them all up on one domain with some kind of Clancy name to it and then make sub-forums, similar to how the Division Forums and Wildlands Forums are all on thedivisionforums.com domain review for now.  

TheDarkZone

Community Agent
While that sounds like a great idea, you definitely do not want to do that using the Tom Clancy name. At least not without talking to Ubisoft first.

I do internet marketing for a living (search engine optimization, SEM, social media, website design, etc), and I have seen this a dozen times. Trust me, they can come after you for copyright infringement for that if they want to. Now they might decide it is promoting the games and to their own benefit to leave you alone. Maybe. Maybe not. If they do come after you, it's not just a "please stop that" kind of thing. They can sue you for damages, and they can take the domain from you. So all the work you do to build it up is for nothing and you lose it literally overnight.

So I was thinkin, I own wildlandsforums.com and I want to do something with it. Should I create a dedicated forum for Ghost Recon Wildlands?
Totally up to you, but from what I played in the beta and the general chatter out there about this game, I don't think it is going to have a very long lifespan. I don't think it is worth the ~$300 for the IP Board license for another forum. 

Maybe it will surprise us at release, but compared to what they were promising, I am very underwhelmed with Wildlands. I thought The Division was a bit underwhelming when it released, but compared to Wildlands, The Division is a 10/10. The controls and movement are kind of clunky. There is not a lot of direction on what to do and what impact your actions have. The combat is disappointing for a Ghost Recon game. To me, it very much feels like someone took Grand Theft Auto and put a Ghost Recon skin on it. 

I'm a big Clancy fan. I have played every Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell game out there. I've put hours into The Division. I just cannot see this game having the same kind of staying power as some of those other games, and especially with there not being any PvP combat. What do you do after you beat the game? Beat it again? How long will that be fun for?

Okay, sorry for the rant. 

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
@TheDarkZone Lot of valid points.  Good to know about the domain name, then maybe it would be possible to come up with something else but it would be nice to have a place for rainbow 6 in addition to Division and Wildlands.  

As for Wildlands, I think it will be an acquired taste and possibly not up to the past GR games.  While it may not be what was promised or advertised, the division wasn't when it dropped and it got a lot of work to make it better.  You're right about there not being any end-game, but it's not a looter shooter so there's no real grinding.  They did say there will be PvP at some point, so end-game might look like CODs MP, but no details on it yet.  

Finally, I'm going to be co-presenting a webinar on SEO in about 8 weeks and I'm always looking for good sources of material.  It's going to be a beginner suggestion, so if you have and references to share all info is appreciated.  

TheDarkZone

Community Agent
Finally, I'm going to be co-presenting a webinar on SEO in about 8 weeks and I'm always looking for good sources of material.  It's going to be a beginner suggestion, so if you have and references to share all info is appreciated.  
I don't publish a whole lot of stuff for beginners anymore these days. I've done some webinars in the past for beginners, but it has been awhile.

I have been doing SEO for over 10 years though. I used to be a moderator for the SEO section of the Warrior Forum. Now besides my business I also run a small, but growing, internet marketing forum... SpartanMarketingAcademy.com. Lots of SEO info there.

g1nt3r

Death Otter
While that sounds like a great idea, you definitely do not want to do that using the Tom Clancy name. At least not without talking to Ubisoft first.

I do internet marketing for a living (search engine optimization, SEM, social media, website design, etc), and I have seen this a dozen times. Trust me, they can come after you for copyright infringement for that if they want to. Now they might decide it is promoting the games and to their own benefit to leave you alone. Maybe. Maybe not. If they do come after you, it's not just a "please stop that" kind of thing. They can sue you for damages, and they can take the domain from you. So all the work you do to build it up is for nothing and you lose it literally overnight.

Totally up to you, but from what I played in the beta and the general chatter out there about this game, I don't think it is going to have a very long lifespan. I don't think it is worth the ~$300 for the IP Board license for another forum. 

Maybe it will surprise us at release, but compared to what they were promising, I am very underwhelmed with Wildlands. I thought The Division was a bit underwhelming when it released, but compared to Wildlands, The Division is a 10/10. The controls and movement are kind of clunky. There is not a lot of direction on what to do and what impact your actions have. The combat is disappointing for a Ghost Recon game. To me, it very much feels like someone took Grand Theft Auto and put a Ghost Recon skin on it. 

I'm a big Clancy fan. I have played every Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell game out there. I've put hours into The Division. I just cannot see this game having the same kind of staying power as some of those other games, and especially with there not being any PvP combat. What do you do after you beat the game? Beat it again? How long will that be fun for?

Okay, sorry for the rant. 
Why haven't you informed me of your IPB knowledge? You could've been assisting me with this sites design....

As for creating a whole new forum, well perhaps im already too late. I should've done it at the beginning of the year at the very latest. Suppose I'll just keep these sub forums. Or perhaps there's a way I can have them share a database or something... im gonna look into that.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDarkZone

Community Agent
Why haven't you informed me of your IPB knowledge? You could've been assisting me with this sites design....

As for creating a whole new forum, well perhaps im already too late. I should've done it at the beginning of the year at the very latest. Suppose I'll just keep these sub forums. Or perhaps there's a way I can have them share a database or something... im gonna look into that.
I had no idea you needed any help. Things seem to be running pretty smoothly here. 

You are probably right about being a little late to the party, but with some good SEO work you could catch up. 

Again though, to me the real issue is longevity. Is this game going to have a lifespan of more than a year or so? I don't know. I don't picture it hanging around like games like The Division and Destiny. Lots of expansions and a robust PvP system could change that.

The idea of a Tom Clancy all-in-one forum is intriguing though. 

g1nt3r

Death Otter
I had no idea you needed any help. Things seem to be running pretty smoothly here. 

You are probably right about being a little late to the party, but with some good SEO work you could catch up. 

Again though, to me the real issue is longevity. Is this game going to have a lifespan of more than a year or so? I don't know. I don't picture it hanging around like games like The Division and Destiny. Lots of expansions and a robust PvP system could change that.

The idea of a Tom Clancy all-in-one forum is intriguing though. 
It would take some major site reconstruction for an all-in-one board.

TheDarkZone

Community Agent
It would take some major site reconstruction for an all-in-one board.
Oh yeah. It would be painful. But if you are going to keep creating forums for each Tom Clancy game in the future, it would be short-term pain for long-term gain. You would not be starting from zero every time a new game came out.

Plus once it is setup, you could easily create sections for older games if there is any interest.

It really comes down to what you want to do in the future.

g1nt3r

Death Otter
Oh yeah. It would be painful. But if you are going to keep creating forums for each Tom Clancy game in the future, it would be short-term pain for long-term gain. You would not be starting from zero every time a new game came out.

Plus once it is setup, you could easily create sections for older games if there is any interest.

It really comes down to what you want to do in the future.
Aghh... tough decision.

RimBlock

Underground, overground, wombling free
Just grab G1nt3rsGamingWorld.com .  Point the DNS records for tdf and twf domains to it.  Same as suggested above without the TC trademark issues (on the TC name at least).

I would guess that there would be a lot of hacking around to be able to run two IP Board sites on a single shared DB (sharing various tables etc).  Common variables / setting in the DB may not be able to work with different IPs / Site names etc.  

Link up your Youtube / twitch / twitter and off you go

Having said that, I know nothing about SEO  :3_grin: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements