• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Next Big Thing?

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
I'll be tagging below to draw attention but ... what and where exactly IS the next Open World, Third Person, Looter-shooter, RPG?

The Division still has some legs in it for a 2nd season at least for now, Wildlands unfortunately appears to be being abandoned by the development team like Dolphins at the end of the World and I've never been a fan of first person games. 

So I'm looking for the next third person, open world game... mainly interested in PvE games, cooperative gameplay if possible... y'know like Division and Wildlands! haha!

Anyone spotted one on the horizon at all?

Of course my next game purchase is Steel Division but that's just because they've now added the 116th to the roster list...

@DeadSockPuppet @supercat @Oh. daesu @BROGOD

Last edited by a moderator:

supercat

Fashion Recon
I haven't seen anything in the horizon for special task force 3rd person co-op shooter kind of thingy. I'd love to have one more myself.

Chances are you're going to end up with a game like Division again. Numbers and planting bullets to a big guy's head until they die - with a forced PvP.

Maybe try a single player game like Sniper Elite series?

If you want to read more than my core answer to your question, then please open the spoiler below.

Tbh, the theme you're looking for is kinda hard to be taken seriously anymore. Too many immature players with a certain negative personality, attitude, and behavior in this type of game which leads developers to make it more into PvP game. This is also get proven by the type of forced PvP game or mode that gives player the ability to engage in an unfair match or picking on another player. These type of players have different meaning of 'fun' than ours. Their type of 'fun' is only achieve-able in PvP games or a game with PvP mode - forced or not.

Furthermore, PvP game is easier to be done than PvE game. In PvP game, you give a set of stage, tool, and rule, and the community will have their own vicious little drama in there. While in PvE game, we need quality objectives, background story, dialogue, level design, reward for completion, so on and so forth. It's understandable from the developer's side that they would prefer making PvP game.

My best suggestion to you in this matter perhaps is to broaden your search category a bit more. Perhaps a fantasy shooter or maybe not a shooter at all. Maybe a non-military/realistic shooter, run n gun open world game, and what not. You know what I'm about talking here. I often do that myself and found more fun video games along the way, with more positive communities to discuss in, ignoring the toxic complainers around.

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
I guess I'm pretty easy going as long as its not first person... I really hate the loss of vision it offers, especially where the game involves combat. Having been in similar situations and being aware of the environment around me to a far greater extent than First Person View allows in games..I struggle to adapt so much and end up not enjoying the experience except on rare occasions (which is usually due to other players with me adding to the gaming experience rather than the game itself).

I would enjoy an open world game which is PvP. Sniper Elite series is a good option I can visit and Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 would be nice ... except its 1st person! 

Time to keep looking and seeing what comes out I guess but i wondered if anyone else had heard any announcements I'd missed. Guess not!

Maybe look into if anyone else want's to team up on PvP in Steel Division Normandy 44 in a few weeks lol!

BROGOD

Community Veteran
As far as open world games go, Red Dead Redemption 2. Though it won't be out until next spring, even later for PC users. Days Gone is zombie orientated but that's gonna be massively open world too, so you'll be able to explore the vast lands. 

Metal Gear: Survival is a co-op open world Metal Gear Solid game, set inbetween Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. You might enjoy that.

Open world is very subjective too: since there are a lot of A1 open world games coming out this year and next that I have great doubt in you liking, due to what I've gathered about your tastes. If you mean tactical open world games, with role-playing abilities, then again, it's very subjective to what type of genre you enjoy the most. Let me know and I'll shoot off some titles. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
I don't think there is anything like what you're asking for. There are other third person games, open world, or loot based. However only The Division and Wildlands seem to have all three. Closest thing I can even think of is Dragon Age: Inquisition. Although I only had a couple hours in.

Third person wise, Batman Arkham Asylum, Dead Space, Mass Effect are good.

Open world wise, Skyrim and the Assassin's Creed series.

Loot wise, Borderlands 2.

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
Seriously, though, I haven't seen anything coming yet.  RDR2 next spring will probably be the closest 3PS open world, but it's definitely not a tactical game.  That being said, Ubi is announcing 5 new games this year and I think they've only given details so far on 3 of the 5, so maybe one of the two unlisted ones midnight be up your alley.  I'd love a new R6 game with story and an option to toggle between FPS & 3PS. 

BROGOD

Community Veteran
Siege would be a perfect game if it was third person switchable. No campaign or open world roaming to it, though.  I hear you on a new R6 completely, I'd love to see something refreshing done. I have a lot of faith in Ubisoft at times, they make really good games, they just have shitty execution most of the time lol. Always on trivial but critical stuff, too.

Advertisements