Registering and reaching 75 posts will remove ads
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quinch1199

General PC issue - not directly Division related

6 posts in this topic

Two issues hit me this weekend when the UK hit the "balmy" and dizzying heights in temperature of 28 Celsius (that's a mere 82F for those two countries it the world who use those measurements).

1) Full crash. Restarting directly to BIOS only and doesn't recognise any boot drive is connected.

- checked all connections. Internally the case was physically feeling hot so I stripped it, added an external fan to blow directly over the mobo. Seemed to be ok after then for the rest of the day. 

2) Network connection dropping. When playing online games seemingly only (i.e. watching YouTube for periods of time and other web browsing didn't lead to the issue). Basically the PC would drop its network connection completely, reestablish it & reconnect...meaning I would be booted from any online session I was in at the time. 

PC is hardwired via a CAT 6 LAN within 2 meters of the router. 

I'm purely suspecting an overheating issue. CPU has a stock intel cooler currently. Before I invest in a nice big cooling solution I'd like others opinions if possible (and maybe cooling solution options). I don't believe I'll need liquid cooling .. seems overkill for this country!

Processor is an i5 6400, not overclocked in any way. 

Registering and reaching 75 posts will remove ads

Hey Quinch,

I absolutely think this is a cooling issue. What case are you using? I know a lot of new cases have plastic or aluminum fronts that are usually a big culprit. Just because they restrict airflow to the front fans. Therefore, reducing the volume and pressure of air into your case.

My first priority would be switching out that stock heatsink. Even just another active cooling one like a Hyper 212 EVO. You don't necessarily have to get an all in one water cooler for your CPU. Although, if you have the space and cash, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

With your network, is it just your machine that drops off the network? Or do other devices do it also? If other devices are as well, you may have a overheating problem with the modem. In which case, stick a little fan next to it.

OK, a couple of questions:

• When it failed to find the boot device - was it OK after the PC was off for awhile (i.e. it cooled down for an hour or so)?
  • The CPU has made it through power on self test (POST) before it looks for the disk.  Did you hear any beeps before you got the message?  That would indicate an issue on the motherboard.
  • Is there a verbose setting for booting up?  That is it would show all messages during POST - warnings here may not beep but you would see them.

If its a builder from a main motherboard supplier (ASUS as example), they all have diagnostic tools - running that will tell you alot.  
MSI afterburner will also tell you temps for alot of components.  Like GPU/CPU/Chipset/memory temps, fan speeds, etc.. In general anything over 80c is bad.  Fans always at 100% bad.

And of course - it could simply be a dying hard disk.

...gene

Thanks for the responses!

Network - whilst  I have experienced some other equipment dropping from WiFi none that were hardwired in dropped. This was isolated to the PC in question. 

Boot fail - after standing for a time system booted normally. The POST ran fine also with associated audio queue. The boot drive is a SanDisk SSD (120Gb) and is confined to being a boot & utilities disc only.

Case I'm using is a Dead Silence AeroCool ... I'm appreciating this isn't the best for airflow unfortunately and currently has two 120mm internal fans only. 

My intel is using the stock cooler so my first recourse after payday is an aftermarket upgrade (they're not expensive)

Motherboard - ASUS H110M-A 

It was mainly the drop in network connection that confused me as even with serious overheating on previous systems all its done is shut down...I've never had one systematically drop its network connection but I've not used this Motherboard before either. 

Edited by quinch1199

1 hour ago, quinch1199 said:

Thanks for the responses!

Network - whilst  I have experienced some other equipment dropping from WiFi none that were hardwired in dropped. This was isolated to the PC in question. 

Boot fail - after standing for a time system booted normally. The POST ran fine also with associated audio queue. The boot drive is a SanDisk SSD (120Gb) and is confined to being a boot & utilities disc only.

Case I'm using is a Dead Silence AeroCool ... I'm appreciating this isn't the best for airflow unfortunately and currently has two 120mm internal fans only. 

My intel is using the stock cooler so my first recourse after payday is an aftermarket upgrade (they're not expensive)

It was mainly the drop in network connection that confused me as even with serious overheating on previous systems all its done is shut down...I've never had one systematically drop its network connection but I've not used this Motherboard before either. 

Check your motherboard temperatures as well. One summer my board was at 80C and did the exact same thing. Connection was dropping in my game constantly.

It may be time to add more 120mm's also. Or upgrade the ones you have. If it's not just your CPU that's hot, then you ought to add another fan or two. I don't really hear anything bad of Corsair and Be Quiet's fans.

16 hours ago, quinch1199 said:

currently has two 120mm internal fans only. 

OK - how long have you had the box?  It seems that the quiet fans tend to have issues. Nice gaming MB.  

My son has heat and fan issues - we are upgrading his CPU cooler to https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-RR-212E-20PK-R2-120mm/dp/B01M5K6DKW/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1497871629&sr=1-3&keywords=cpu%2Bfan&th=1

Never assuming experience, remember the thermo paste :1_grinning:

Not expensive at all here is US.

And fans are very cheap.  

...gene

Edited by genedjr