• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

PC What GPU for at least 50FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, While I fantasized about having a Raedon 7970, I in fact have a 7950  :40_rage:
And while I am very keen on waiting for AMD Vega, I am wondering what others are using to get at least 50 FPS.

Other notes:

HP XW8400, 2xXeon 5355 2.66Ghz (2 CPUs, 4 Cores each) 32GB memory, 240GB SDD sys disk. But this box is 10+ years old.  A monster when I got it, but a little tired now.
HP2335, 1920x1200 monitor and HP2035 1600x1200 second monitor (I play on the 23" with other stuff running on the 20")
W10 Pro, DX12 turned off in game.

And my hapless HD7950 3GB GPU.

Short term goal is to spend $200 or less and get to 50 FPS.
I have tried lowered the graphics to med and low with no real effect on FPS.  It just looses range and detail.

Another note - I believe my PCIx16 slot is the first version - so slow.

Thoughts?

...gene

View attachment DxDiag.txt

Last edited by a moderator:

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
Hey gene,

I hate to crush your dreams here, but you CPU is a HUGE bottleneck. So even if you get a brand new card, I cannot guarantee you'll see a big performance increase. My Core 2 Quad is a big bottleneck on my 960, and theoretically, with two 5355's, your just about as powerful as that. As single CPU wise, your 5355 is only half the performance of my Q9505. So just a warning.

Now if you decide to get a new card anyways, I think you probably could run low at around 50FPS. What I personally would buy is a GTX 1050Ti from EVGA. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-04G-P4-6253-KR/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498300013&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+1050ti

ASUS and MSI I don't really hear complaints about either. On AMD's side, closest thing I can think of is an RX 460. About 50$ less. But the 1050Ti would be roughly 40% better.

I would also believe that you do have a 1st Generation PCIe slot. Your CPU's are mid 2006 from what I remember. That also is going to affect a new card. There isn't a huge performance jump from Gen2 to Gen3 (roughly 15%) but from Gen1 to Gen2, it would be larger. So then if you buy a new card, you may end up only using half of the cards performance. Which doesn't make a lot of sense to do in my opinion. Check that slot. If it's a Gen2, you can probably get a small performance enhancement. If it's a Gen1, don't even bother. You really will just have to build a new system at some point.

genedjr

Community Elite
Hey gene,

I hate to crush your dreams here,[edit] You really will just have to build a new system at some point.
/sigh - yeah was hopping to get through the summer so the ryzen MB/Processors a little more sorted out, but alas - it's time to build a new box.  This ol'HP has been a good tool for me, but it's done.

To that end, I will get a top X370 MB for a Ryzen 5 and 16GB of memory.  For now I will use the 7950 GPU.  This leaves a fairly good upgrade path as I get more money.  And I want an upgrade path to 1440 gaming.  :1_grinning:

So off to the web - I am prolly a month collecting the parts.

/sigh

...gene

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
I would also advise you check historic prices on Graphics Cards. The mid-high range cards on all makes have taken a significant price hike due to their "in fad" use for bitcoin mining. Some cards have almost doubled in price in the last month.

So, if you can wait..I'd wait and sit this one out. Maybe take the time to plan a new build?

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
I would also advise you check historic prices on Graphics Cards. The mid-high range hards on all makes have taken a significant price hike due to their "in fad" use for bitcoin mining. Some cards have almost doubled in price in the last month.

So, if you can wait..I'd wait and sit this one out. Maybe take the time to plan a new build?
Yup. The GTX 1060 used to be mid 200$, now I'm seeing near them 400$. I didn't realize it was due to bitcoin mining however. Just starting to read up on crypto currency myself.

quinch1199

Yup. The GTX 1060 used to be mid 200$, now I'm seeing near them 400$. I didn't realize it was due to bitcoin mining however. Just starting to read up on crypto currency myself.
Yup. Stupid fictional speculation on a currency ends up effecting real-life and making those that have real need poorer... sound familiar? Demand for the cards that aren't exceptionally priced but still really good (i.e. mid-high range such as the 1060's) has rocketed idiots kids decide to make $50 a month bitcoin currency mining because they don't have to pay the electricity bill that's just jumped by $200 because the PC is on 24/7 and being remotely used constantly! 

genedjr

Community Elite
Yep, keeping the 7950 and building a nice/frankenstein X370/Ryzen.

Opening another thread for that.

On mining - if you want to be serious, its a $20K investment - as the main part of that investment, if you live in the right part of the country - is solar/wind power.  Now the power is essentially "free" and with a $5K miner you can get about 1/3 a bitcoin a month (~$750).  So about a 26 month break even IF the price holds.  And it requires constant monitoring as the "problem" changes and requires tuning the miner.  /sigh - a hobby for the rich.

...gene

quinch1199

/sigh - a hobby for the rich.
...OR the dumb...or are they generally the same thing? Because if someone's rich enough to do mining correctly, they're not dumb enough to waste that money doing it where there's far better returns and less effort in other trading  :10_wink:

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, please see build post - wow what a difference.  I got more than 50 FPS in the benchmark.

http://www.thedivisionforums.com/topic/4843-ryzen-gamer-build/

Medium DX11 - average/typical was 60.1 FPS  actually, I must have forgot to reset to medium - this is really just over 50 FPS.
High DX 11 - average/typical was 38.1

Medium DX12 - crashed

Medium before was giving 35-45 DX 11 in game.   So we are on the right track.   Now I need to do a little tuning.  AND overclocking!

...gene

[8/6/17]Not sure why that benchmark was so good.  In game I get mid 50s with the occasional drop to mid 40s.

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, to answer my original question, how to I get at least 50FPS - the answer is Ryzen!  That takes CPU/IO/PCIe and what ever other bottlenecks a 11 year old system has and removes them.

While there is more tweaking to do - with only about 3 hours work have the CPU overclocked from 3.6Ghz to 3.95Ghz (Target is 4.1Ghz) and memory overclocked from 2133 to 2933 (Target 3200).

fun stuff - now vega...

...gene

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, I still have my XW8400 - and I got a GTX970 for my son - so I will post if the CPU (or PCIv1) was really the bottleneck.  Honestly I don't know, but suspect it is.  My Ryzen and gifted GTX970 run everything at "high" at 60FPS solid - perfect for me. (and what my old monitor can support)

And my son will be here in 11 days - we will GAME!

I will update.

...gene

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
On a XW8400, it will bottleneck. No question. But I would like to see the results with Ryzen. See if they play nicely together for you.

Hope you and your son enjoy some great gaming time!

genedjr

Community Elite
 But I would like to see the results with Ryzen. See if they play nicely together for you.
Like what?  I have run a few tests where I have TD (high, full screen), OSB, Skype for Business, Skype, and Edge playing music.  TD and OSB run at 60FPS.  TD seems pretty solid now.  Now Destiny 2 is another thing, I get random GPU crashes with the same settings.  Does not seem to matter what else is running.  Borderlands 2 no issues, Serious Sam 2 no issues - but both of those are fairly old and very stable.

...gene

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
Like what?  I have run a few tests where I have TD (high, full screen), OSB, Skype for Business, Skype, and Edge playing music.  TD and OSB run at 60FPS.  TD seems pretty solid now.  Now Destiny 2 is another thing, I get random GPU crashes with the same settings.  Does not seem to matter what else is running.  Borderlands 2 no issues, Serious Sam 2 no issues - but both of those are fairly old and very stable.

...gene
I would like to see how well it streams, personally. That seems to be the most stressful test you can run on a machine. Just eats at all your resources. At least from my experience. I have yet to get near Destiny 2 either, and that report is not the most reassuring.

OT...

@HawKShoTis that a newly acquired uniform in your pic?
It is indeed. AFJROTC Full Service Dress. Considering talking about it on a post actually. You can read a bit about it on the link, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Reserve_Officers'_Training_Corps)  but it's enabled me to do some really awesome stuff, like use AN/PVS-7 NVG's.

genedjr

Community Elite
I am assuming you mean broadcast stream - well, not yet....   I have not set that up.

...gene

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
I would like to see how well it streams, personally. That seems to be the most stressful test you can run on a machine. Just eats at all your resources. At least from my experience. I have yet to get near Destiny 2 either, and that report is not the most reassuring.

It is indeed. AFJROTC Full Service Dress. Considering talking about it on a post actually. You can read a bit about it on the link, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Reserve_Officers'_Training_Corps)  but it's enabled me to do some really awesome stuff, like use AN/PVS-7 NVG's.
We dont really have that here. We do have military cadets, which is up to 18 years. You were doing medical courses towards recruitment?

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
I am assuming you mean broadcast stream - well, not yet....   I have not set that up.

...gene
Exactly what I meant. OBS is free, and pretty easy to use. I'd try that if you look into it.

We dont really have that here. We do have military cadets, which is up to 18 years. You were doing medical courses towards recruitment?
Made that post. We should move this conversation over to there, and not derail @genedjr's thread. :5_smiley:

genedjr

Community Elite
Exactly what I meant. OBS is free, and pretty easy to use. I'd try that if you look into it.
I have OBS and I used it to capture.  I have lightworks for editing.  I am a N00B with both.  Future plans call for a youtube channel for babyboomers like me with a tech focus.  I am assembling base gear ATM - PC is updated, but I have a 16:10 monitor - I at least need a 16:9 to match what most folks have.  And I need a reasonable 1080p standalone camera.  A reasonable studio mic.  This should be fun once setup.  I see very little focus on my generation - and we still have more disposable income than anyone else.

...gene

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
I have OBS and I used it to capture.  I have lightworks for editing.  I am a N00B with both.  Future plans call for a youtube channel for babyboomers like me with a tech focus.  I am assembling base gear ATM - PC is updated, but I have a 16:10 monitor - I at least need a 16:9 to match what most folks have.  And I need a reasonable 1080p standalone camera.  A reasonable studio mic.  This should be fun once setup.  I see very little focus on my generation - and we still have more disposable income than anyone else.

...gene
Let this be guidance to us millennial's when we have disposable income. Buy 16:9 monitors. Or whatever is current then. Lord knows. We may have pet robot monkeys by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements