• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

PC Ryzen Gamer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

genedjr

Community Elite
OK - my $9K+ HP Xw8400 workstation from 2006 is worth about $200 now (maybe).  And as I try harder TD content, I am stymied by the slow response of my HD7950 3GB video card.  When I did CPU-Z the combined benchmark score was a miserable 1830.7.  Given new systems are benching at 10x this - its time to move on.  But hey 10+ years of daily use without a single failure - not bad.

RYZEN - why? I am a cheap cheap cheap SOB.  I should be able to get 80%+ of Intel performance at 50% of the cost.  More than enough to play modern and future games.  And hey, anything above about 70-80 FPS and your eye/mind cannot keep up with it.  Yeah there are exceptions especially for the tweenies - but hey I am WAY past that.

My requirements

• upgrade room - spend a little more now for a MB and PSU with the end in mind. Just don't waste money (unless it's for a purpose).
  • Within Limits, use what I have - SSD sys disk, 2x1.8TB drives (windows mirrored), 5x750GB drives (may sell with old box), case, keyboard, mouse, GPU, Monitor(s)
End Game

• Ryzen 7 1800x
  • 64GB RAM, 3200 - or more!
  • Vega 2xGPU Crossfire
  • M2 500GB sys disk (32GB/s transfer)
  • 2x 1440 monitors (no need for 4K unless I get new eyes)
  • 10TB of recoverable storage
So here is where I am at with only about 40 hours research:

• ASRock X370 Taichi, Massive 16 phase power
  • DDR4-3200 - way up from others
  • 2 M2 slots - working this out, not sure which is more important
  • 10! SATA connections - wow
Missing some USB stuff - but I am not sure I care.

OK, build so far

• Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200 - $136
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X - $228
  • Enermax ETS-T40 Fit Series CPU Cooler 200W - $37
  • Rosewill Quark Series 1000 Watt Full Modular 80 Plus Platinum - $150
  • ASRock X370 Taichi - $192
So there you are. I have not spent any money yet but I am look at $750.

Any better suggestions? I would love help - there are sOOOOOOOO many choices

...gene

Last edited by a moderator:

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
Hey Gene,

So, what are you going to use 1000 watts for?... That's extremely unnecessary. And as time goes on, hardware requires less, and less, power. Hell, I've run a 475w with 3 hardrives, a 960 SC, and an Q9505. And I never reached 100% usage on it.

750W is the most I would personally buy, save myself the cash and use it elsewhere. But even 750W seems a little high now. Unless you're planning to overclock? And is having a modular PSU a must for you? Or would semi-modular work?

No complaints on the R5 1600x. I think that's a great choice. RAM I would say you don't really need at 3200MHz.  RAM speed doesn't affect performance too much. I would go 2133MHz or 2400MHz.

M.2 drives are about 100$ for 120GB. So If you want to just use that as a boot and utilities drive, I would say that isn't a bad idea.

I've heard a couple shady things about ASRock boards, but not too much. I would look at ASUS boards also. Gigabyte would be an absolute no go for me. I always hear guys who have all kinds of USB problems on those, and frankly, I want my ports to just work.

genedjr

Community Elite
So, what are you going to use 1000 watts for?

RAM I would say you don't really need at 3200MHz.  RAM speed doesn't affect performance too much..

M.2 drives are about 100$ for 120GB.

Gigabyte would be an absolute no go for me.
On the PSU, I used two different calculators for the end game configuration and both came back with 1000+ Watts.  The Dual GPU was the kicker.  As Vega GPUs are not really out yet, I used two GTX 1080 TIs for the calculations.  While not a named brand, Rosewill Quark claims platinum efficiency.  And at $150 - a steal if it really works.

On the RAM - cause it's only $5 more expensive and two reviewers were able to clock it at 3200 on the Taichi.  And I disagree that RAM speed does not impact performance.

M.2, yep - but 120 GB sys disk is really small given I have a ton of apps that like to be on the sys disk, especially visual studio.  I will stay with my current 240 SSD.  But M.2 is certainly in the future.  And note 2 slots!  Once I can afford a 500GB M.2 - I will get one.

Gigabyte - yuck, nuf-said.

If money was not an issue - I would go ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero  for the extra everything as the MB for the end build.  But for my needs, the ASROCK Taichi meets everything I need and a few of my wants.  And I love the 12 phase power - I am egar to try my hand at overclocking and water block cooling.  This is the base for that.

genedjr

Community Elite
In that case, I think you know what you're doing then. Keeping the 7950 until prices on cards go down though, yes?
Yes, waiting on Vega gamer GPU.

I have pulled the trigger :8_laughing:

• Ryzen 5 1600x
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
  • Rosewill PHOTON Series PHOTON-850 850W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Gold
  • ASRock X370 Taichi AM4, In my opinion better than the Asus ROG.
  • Enermax ETS-T40
I caved on the PSU - If I get two GPUs hopefully they will draw less, a lot less.  I stay with Rosewill because friends and family have had good luck.

My ancient case has 3 80mm fans - that may not work. Well see.  A good fan intensive ATX case maybe needed. (thoughts?) As one of the fans is through the side of the case, I am thinking to drill it out to 120mm or bigger.  And it points to the window.  Gona wait and see the temps.

Well its done.  I really do appreciate the responses.  Hawk - you are the greatest!

...gene

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
Yes, waiting on Vega gamer GPU.

I have pulled the trigger :8_laughing:

• Ryzen 5 1600x
  • Rosewill PHOTON Series PHOTON-850 850W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Gold
  • ASRock X370 Taichi AM4, In my opinion better than the Asus ROG.
  • Enermax ETS-T40
I caved on the PSU - If I get two GPUs hopefully they will draw less, a lot less.  I stay with Rosewill because friends and family have had good luck.

My ancient case has 3 80mm fans - that may not work. Well see.  A good fan intensive ATX case maybe needed. (thoughts?) As one of the fans is through the side of the case, I am thinking to drill it out to 120mm or bigger.  And it points to the window.  Gona wait and see the temps.

Well its done.  I really do appreciate the responses.  Hawk - you are the greatest!

...gene
Anytime man. Enjoy the new rig!

BROGOD

Community Veteran
Builds are costly but well worth it in my opinion, it's one of the best things about being a PC gamer. I future proofed my computer a year ago and I'm still power housing through new games on the market without any drama. Not to mention the visuals are A1. Slight upgrades every now and then.

Seems like a good sturdy build. Not bad for the price either. 

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, I decided I will need both rigs running for at least the transition process, so I broke down and bought Samsung SM951 256GB PCIe Gen3 M.2.  My current OS Disk is a 256GB SSD that I was going to reuse - and I still plan on it but as my games repository.

So my end rig:

• Ryzen 5 1600x
  • ASRock X370 Taichi AM4,
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W, Fully Modular
  • Enermax ETS-T40 200w cooler (ordered AM4 bracket)
  • Samsung SM951 256GB PCIe Gen3 M.2
  • Crucial 256 GB Internal SSD Sata 3 6 Gb/s
  • (2) Hitachi 2TB drives (1.8GB Mirrored) Sata 2 7200RPM
  • Raedon HD7950 3GB GPU
  • 23" HP 2335 1920x1200, 20" HP 2035 1600x1200 <- 10 year old monitors
  • LED keyboard, Keytronic mouse, Logitech gaming controller (the really cheap one)
  • Creative speakers with woofer
  • Sennheiser GSP300 headset
  • Logitech 1080p C920 pro camera (good camera horrible mic)
I have had my current rig for over 10 years, upgrading here and there with used parts.  But its time to move on.  AND I see Xw8400s on ebay with less memory and storage going to over $750 - that makes this pill much easier to swallow.

[EDIT] Removed "Rosewill PHOTON Series PHOTON-850 850W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Gold" as many reviews claim issues.  However, I seem to have lost the foam so probably have to sell on ebay for a loss.

...gene

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, I am not happy with Enermax - emailed to ask where my AM4 bracket was and, from the response, they failed to send it.  So they promised to send it USPS First Class - bah.  While I see great reviews of the product - service - not so much.  I would send it back, but getting another from anywhere would take just as long and still would probably not have an AM4 bracket.

If its not here Friday - I am returning the cooler anyway and going with another.

So the build is holding, as it has been for three weeks, on a cooler bracket.

...gene

genedjr

Community Elite
One last update. (maybe  :4_joy: )

After seeing, listening, reading a zillions reviews, the only thing I would do different is to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU - $40 more.  And it can be clocked to rival the 1800x.  I still have not had time to get OSB or Lightworks up - but a friend has and its amazing (but hell - he has a 1700  :57_cry: )

Doing the math, I saved just over $200 and got two extra cores.  Not bad.

...gene

OH yeah - if anyone can point me to a really detailed discussion of memory overclocking that would be nice.  There are so MANY knobs on the Taichi I am unsure how to tune it.

genedjr

Community Elite
Holy shit, $9,000 computer build!?
no, it was an engineering package from HP using xeon processors and ECC memory.  Basically a server in a upright case.  At the time it was able to capture 27 HD Video streams over TCP/IP used in security systems.  This was a ten fold decrease from the original spec'd system that cost over $80K.  Welcome to Enterprise IT!

And as I was able to keep the demo - It really did not cost me anything.  :1_grinning:

...gene

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, Ryzen...

Other than being cheap, I went with Ryzen as my son and I plan of doing game reviews.  So today (Finally) I was able to fire up the game, OSB, CPUID HWMonitor, AMD Ryzen master, Raedon, and Skype.  and oh yeah TD running medium settings at 1920x1200.

Ran the hospital mission on hard several times to see how it would react under differing conditions.  

• No OC - ran through in 12 min, 40+ FPS, capture was OK but stuttered in a couple of places on playback.  CPU never hit 100%.  GPU hit max on HWMonitor.
  • OC to 3950Mhz CPU, 2933 Memory - ran through in 13 (cause I am an idiot) again 40+ FPS but no stuttering.  Very nice playback.  CPU never hit 100%.  GPU hit max on HWMonitor.
  • Added 10% power to GPU, ran through in 10+ min, no stuttering, very nice playback, CPU was close to 100%, GPU again hit max on HWMonitor. - but ah - smoother.  Noticeably smoother.  Saw 50 FPS+ every time I looked.
  • On GPU power - while HWMonitor showed a high at MAX GPU clock, it never stayed there - so adding 10% power - nothing else - and watching more closely the GPU clock stayed max.  My assumption here is that the previous owner (EBay baby) had stressed this one out.  But hey, what do you expect for $90.
My conclusion is that Ryzen is pretty good.  Even using old GPUs.  My XW8400 simply could not keep up with the demand in video capture and gaming frame rate.  And that box was pretty maxed out - but 10 years old.

My only regret in this build is not spending the $40 more to get R7 1700.  Otherwise I am extreamly happy.

...gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements