• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

PC V-Sync monitor vs. Gsync NVidia GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
**SOLVED SEE BELOW**

Currently have a (relatively minor I'll admit) issue with a friend who's JUST been persuaded to join the Master Race (yeah, I did it, I'll admit it...I talked him into it). As a console gamer he's used to just throwing cash at something and expecting it to work ... hence I'm "Tech Support". 

He spent a significant amount on a pre-built system but bought the monitor separately. He's had (as he sees it) major issues with games stuck at sub-60hz refresh rates even though his monitor is 144hz capable.

I've never experienced this before (guessing as I've never owned a 144 or 166hz monitor) and traced it down to the possibility that his monitor is has AMD V-Sync software but his GPU is an Nvidia 1080.

He has described to me what amounts to frame tearing in certain circumstances as well.

Is there a way around this issue? If he's running games at >60fps will he always get this issue with this monitor/GPU set up or is there a software way around it? Google-Foo hasn't given me much but I expect it a bit of a niche issue. 

FYI - he's currently looking at G-Sync monitors as replacements but to me it seems a little INSANE to spend £500 on a monitor and not get it to perform to its full 144hz refresh regardless of GPU...or am I being old-fashioned?

Last edited by a moderator:

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
What are his system specifications?... Can you give us a DXDiag?

Just because the monitor is 144Hz, does not mean it will stay at that. It just means that is how high it can go up to. I personally don't notice a difference about 60FPS, but some people like the idea of 144Hz monitors. If that's you, knock yourself out.

I think the fact it's an AMD FreeSync monitor paired with a 1080 is definitely a probable cause, but to be honest with you, I wouldn't know how to test the monitor to verify that.

I will say this though, V-Sync always caused more problems than it fixed for me. Even CAUSING screen tearing for me. I turn it off, smooth and silky. I'm not sure why, but it seems some peoples systems run that way. I know I'm not alone on that front, as I have heard quite a few times the same issue from others. Maybe something worth trying.

To top this reply off, I'll say I don't know of a software work-a-round myself. It absolutely is insane to spend that much and have it not work as intended, but I find that's common in the tech industry. I know a guy who bought an Alienware laptop, 3 months in it burns out. Sends it in to get replaced, replacement burns out. Was something like 1500$. You REALLY have to be careful, and put hours into research on hardware. You can't watch a dozen videos and decide off those. Watch, listen, and read everything you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
*SOLVED*

I solved it, simple fix being exasperated by poor advice from other “presumed” experts who he’s friends with.

The issue was that the game was trying to communicate with his GPU using AMD software. He couldn’t adjust this or change it fully in the in-game Video settings.

I went into his GPU settings for each game and manually amended it.

Both monitor and GPU now using FreeSync (instead of AMD’s V-sync and Nvidias G-sync propriety software).

Now all running at 144hz, no frame tearing.

I have a happy new member of the PC Master Race! Lost from the PS4 Division community and now moved over fully to the PC Division community. *evil laugh*

genedjr

Community Elite
Both monitor and GPU now using FreeSync (instead of AMD’s V-sync and Nvidias G-sync propriety software).
One minor nit - AMD uses a open technology called FreeSync, NVidia uses a proprietary technology called G-Sync.  V-Sync is a setting to either lock the vertical refresh rate at a particular frequency or leave it unlocked.  There are generally driver and game settings for v-sync.

Monitors can support both technologies but I have not seen any that do.  So you need a modern AMD GPU and a FreeSync supporting monitor to take advantage of the technology.  But unlocking v-sync and having a mongo GPU and a capable monitor can achieve good results. 

What both technologies do is match the GPU produced frame rate with the monitor display frame rate there by reducing tearing and other bad graphics artifacts while gaming.

I assume he has a FreeSync supporting monitor and a AMD GPU.  It also depends completely on resolution of the monitor, settings within TD, and OVERCLOCKING!!!!  1080p Gaming should see really fast refresh rates at max settings - and those are quite fun to play!

Just a nit - as I am geekdom  :5_smiley:

...gene 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements