Registering and reaching 75 posts will remove ads
TWSFGaming

DX12 Renderer

TWSFGaming    41

I noticed when I go into my settings to change my screen from windowed to fullscreen (which is annoying by the way) I noticed an option to Enable DX12 Renderer. I was wondering, what is DX12 Renderer and what does it do for the game?

• Upvote 1

Registering and reaching 75 posts will remove ads
HawKShoT    395

Hey TWSF,

DirectX is really just an interface to send instructions to the GPU. DX12 being the newest version of that interface. Now, I personally have never seen a performance increase from it, but some people describe up to a 20FPS difference from DX11 to DX12. Assuming your GPU supports it, of course. Research whether your GPU supports DX12, and if it does, maybe give it a shot, and see if you have any performance increase.

• Upvote 2

genedjr    248

As HawkShot noted, its the evolution of the DirectX interface from Microsoft.  Try both!  In settings for graphics there is a setting to enable DX12 - try it.  If it works, keep it.  If not, go back to the (IMNSHO) more stable DX11.  And GOOGLE! Changing certain settings can have a huge impact.

Also if you have a current gen (read GTX10xx or Vega) go for it, if not, still test it but do not be surprised if DX11 is better.

On my GTX970 - DX11 works best for TD, DX12 works best for Destiny 2...  So go figure.

...gene

• Upvote 2

Oh. daesu    1,153

Not sure if this is applicable. However the 1.8 patch notes lists the following as a PC bug fix.

"Fixed an issue where the DirectX 12 renderer would not work on certain graphics cards. "

• Upvote 1

genedjr    248
On 12/4/2017 at 1:17 PM, Oh. daesu said:

Not sure if this is applicable. However the 1.8 patch notes lists the following as a PC bug fix.

"Fixed an issue where the DirectX 12 renderer would not work on certain graphics cards. "

Needs to be tried.  But I am at least a month out - soooo, people(s) step up we need both Nvidia and AMD.

...gene

• Upvote 1