Registering and reaching 75 posts will remove ads
Sign in to follow this  
genedjr

1440 gaming

genedjr    337

Sooo - I always want opinion and feedback.
NOTE: I am a super geek, but I know nothing :1_grinning:

I want to move to 1440 gaming - I have looked at 4K and while cool - I really can't use the difference.  And there are very few games with "real" 4K resolution source 'so far'.

So with baby boomer eyes, and the lack of real source content - 1440.

Here is the ask - what is your experience?  OMG 4K is the shz-nitz - or 7734 (pager days) 1080 is fine?

...gene

Registering and reaching 75 posts will remove ads

I've never had the chance to use 4k. Nor have I had the cash to throw out for 1440p. 1080p has always looked good for me. If you have so much cash you don't know what to do with it, then 1440p isn't a bad idea. But, like you said, very few games are true 4k. I think the same is still true for most video also. So I don't see a point in doing that.

My two cents.

• Upvote 1

RimBlock    609

I have moved from 1080p (R9-270x @ 24") --> 1440p (GTX 1070 @ 27") --> 4k (GTX 1080 TI @ 42") and it really depends on your screen size.

1440p on 27" was a decent step up from 1080p with the size increase.

4k is a nice step up from 1440p with the 42" monitor (Philips monitor not a TV) but 1440p also looked nice on it.

The thing is that there are not so many high refresh rate monitors at 1440p and none (that I recall at the moment) at 4k and I hear that  refresh rate also makes a huge difference.  I have not tried a >60Hz monitor so cannot say.

one big advantage of 4k for me is that on the 42" monitor it is like having 4x 1080p screens strapped together.  Outside of games it lets me program, read a tutorial on programming, watch Rick and Morty on Netflix and check my emails or browse the Internet all at 1080p on the screen at the same time.  I found the flicking between apps on the 27" was pretty annoying for that type of workload.  The Philips is not the best for games and the menu sucks balls but overall for my usage it is the best middle ground especially considering the price.

The GTX 1070 is great for 1440p but just ok for 4k at low to middle settings, so for 4k you need a top line card if you want the pretties.

• Upvote 1

genedjr    337

I really never thought about using one big monitor and I too have a varied workload with multiple windows up all the time.  I have thought about using two GPUs so my gaming GPU could focus on supporting one monitor while gaming.  But not really tried it yet mostly as the my current GPU runs TD on high settings at 60FPS solid.

At current prices a 1080TI is out right now (and at three times MSRP I simply refuse), so 4K is not really an option.  I will say, after getting a Vizio 55" 4K monitor for my Father-in-law as his TV (he mostly watches sports), the picture (even at the $500 price point) is very impressive.

As I upgrade, I will be getting 1080p and 1440p monitors to use as my main screens.  Right now I have a two screen setup at 1920x1200 and 1600x1200.  These monitors are very old and very power hungry and hot (100w and 75w respectively).  I also have a 720p that I picked up for $15 when my son visited so we could game together.

I currently have a GTX 970 (used off ebay) - the 1080p monitor will be first.  Mostly to lower the heat produced as I am in front of them 10+ hours a day (most 1080p monitors are in the 35w range).  But also I want to show baby-boomers the joy of gaming, even if its on a budget.

Thanks for the feedback.

...gene