• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

PC Game freezing my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuko

I recently got this game to play with a friend and for some reason it has completely frozen my PC on two separate instances tonight. One while I was simply running along while the other was just after a mission failed and we were being teleported out of that area. I tried to use Ctrl-Alt-Del with no success and I can't even find anything on the Windows Event Viewer to see what might've happened after I did a full power down of the computer. I'm at a loss for what to do as it doesn't seem to be temperature related (though I'm not 100% sure). My computer specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7 7700k 4.2Ghz Unlocked

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix z270i Gaming Mini-itx

Graphics: MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 8GB RAM

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200Mhz

Hard Drives: 2x Crucial MX300 525GB m.2 SSD

Case: Silverstone Raven RVZ03 Mini-itx

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W 80 Bronze certified Fully Modular PSU

Operating system: Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit OEM

Please help with this!

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
I recently got this game to play with a friend and for some reason it has completely frozen my PC on two separate instances tonight. One while I was simply running along while the other was just after a mission failed and we were being teleported out of that area. I tried to use Ctrl-Alt-Del with no success and I can't even find anything on the Windows Event Viewer to see what might've happened after I did a full power down of the computer. I'm at a loss for what to do as it doesn't seem to be temperature related (though I'm not 100% sure). My computer specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7 7700k 4.2Ghz Unlocked

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix z270i Gaming Mini-itx

Graphics: MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 8GB RAM

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200Mhz

Hard Drives: 2x Crucial MX300 525GB m.2 SSD

Case: Silverstone Raven RVZ03 Mini-itx

Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W 80 Bronze certified Fully Modular PSU

Operating system: Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit OEM

Please help with this!
Hey Ryukp,

Monitor your temps and resource usage next time you boot up the game. And please answer these questions for me:

Is your OS and video drivers up to date?

Have you tried verifying the game cache?

Does this only happen with The Division?

Thanks!

genedjr

Community Elite
Welcome to the latest GTX crash (v388.59) - While my crummy GTX 970 completely crashes (windows crash, core dump, etc...), a friends 1080 TI freezes.  As I just updated the drivers, hopefully this is not fixed.

I reverted drivers and it did not crash.  Updated again and it crashed.  But the update ran a lot faster - so a crash every 3 to 5 hours is livable. 

...gene

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
Welcome to the latest GTX crash (v388.59) - While my crummy GTX 970 completely crashes (windows crash, core dump, etc...), a friends 1080 TI freezes.  As I just updated the drivers, hopefully this is not fixed.

I reverted drivers and it did not crash.  Updated again and it crashed.  But the update ran a lot faster - so a crash every 3 to 5 hours is livable. 

...gene
I'm on 390.65 here. Could explain why I haven't had this issue.

Ryuko

Not sure how to verify the game cache, my video drivers and OS are both up to date. The temperatures seemed pretty stable. It happened with another game though and I am curious if I was able to fix it.. My hard drives were set up as RAID but weren't actually raided together. I was able to sucessfully turn them back to AHCI configuration without losing any data and after running a system scan, it doesn't appear to have any issues in the OS now like it had been discovered by the other support team.

Also I have 390.65 installed and still encountering the problem. I may have had too many sound drivers trying to go at once though.. I uninstalled the nvidia sound driver and hope that might fix it. The freezing happens I guess cause the audiodg.exe file gets overloaded or something.

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
Not sure how to verify the game cache, my video drivers and OS are both up to date. The temperatures seemed pretty stable. It happened with another game though and I am curious if I was able to fix it.. My hard drives were set up as RAID but weren't actually raided together. I was able to sucessfully turn them back to AHCI configuration without losing any data and after running a system scan, it doesn't appear to have any issues in the OS now like it had been discovered by the other support team.

Also I have 390.65 installed and still encountering the problem. I may have had too many sound drivers trying to go at once though.. I uninstalled the nvidia sound driver and hope that might fix it. The freezing happens I guess cause the audiodg.exe file gets overloaded or something.
Did you scan for fragmentation on those drives also?

Are you opening the game from Steam, or uPlay?

Keep me up to date on that sound driver solution also.

RimBlock

Underground, overground, wombling free
Most 'random' issues I come across tend to be heat or temp related.

Grab a system monitor app you can run in the background that logs to file.  I have the Corsair commander box (fan & light controller) and the software for that does it.  Not sure which other apps do so but take a look at Open Hardware Monitor for example.

You will then capture temp data right up to the time of failure (lockup) give or take the timing interval.

I have a 1080 TI and have not hit any issues apart from freezes a couple of nights ago which I think is related to my Rift VR headset which is not working as expected after a major PC upgrade.  They have not come back since my reboot.

I will also check my driver versions when at home and report back.

I do recall some dodgy drivers from NVidia a while ago (Patch 1.4 maybe) had a very back stuttering issue with The Division.

Ryuko

It wasn't heat though I know that.. I was able to run a different game that is pretty intense on graphics for a long time, but even that one froze up after a short time of playing a few days ago. I ended up reinstalling windows 10 to see if that will fix the drivers and any possibly corrupt files the system scans never picked up on and will have to see if that worked. I'm operating the game off Steam as well.

RimBlock

Underground, overground, wombling free
If there is a driver issue then installing one version back may be a good idea when first getting up and running.  Try it out and only if stable upgrade to the latest drivers may help to avoid more unwanted frustration :6_smile: .

Ryuko

There may have been a cpu temp issue after all.. I hope I fixed it but.. apparently my cpu was slightly overclocked when I didn't want it to be.. so it was running hotter than usual. I had another freeze with a different game and when I went into the bios right after it showed the cpu at 74 degrees celcius and cooling down. So I reset all of the optimization/tuning to default and re-ran only the cooling fan optimization. Here's hoping that did the trick..

G

I have the same issue -

GPU: Nvidia 1080 TI

CPU: 9700k (not OC)

RAM: 64gb Corsair Vengence RGB 3200mhz

Power: 850Watt

Mobo: MSI MEG Z390 ACE

I normally do a lot of rendering with 3D modeling software such as Autodesk Maya, Substance Painter, ZBrush and i closely monitor my temps during those times as rendering will work my gpu and cpu harder than any game ever will but this game still locks up.

It is not a heating issue. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements