• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Consoles. Specs off pause

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
So, xbox and PlayStation have been updating the same version without a new version. For quite a while now PCs can do... so much more. 

Games will generally try and allow consoles to play their releases.  Does this hold back game capilility?  Are they still catering for 5-10 year old specs?

I think that console specs need to move on. Tho with VR evolving.. 

Curious on other people's thoughts.

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
Consoles will always have old ass hardware in them. A PC running the same game on low can look just as good as a console. I feel like there are only 2 reasons to own a console personally. 1. The exclusives. And 2. It's the platform all your friends play on.

For sure though, consoles need updated. Been awhile since the PS4 and Xbox One came out. I know they have some newer variants, but really? Just make a whole new console.

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
Partly my comments come from remembering when ps4 came out. The specs were quite good. Not that I'm a hardware head.

Now if it was a pc you're buying something thay would be behind the times. Sometimes the price of the consoles (usually the xbox) is heavily discounted which frankly it should be.

As you quite aptly pointed out, there is the convenience of the releases and community.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for the sake of conjecture.

SolidJackSnake

Community Member
For sure though, consoles need updated. Been awhile since the PS4 and Xbox One came out. I know they have some newer variants, but really? Just make a whole new console.
I agree. They try to add a few updates here and there, yet, they can never admit that making a single console completely better would require an overhaul, in this case, the development of a new console.

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
The reason I like console is because the games come out designed, and hopefully optimized, for that specific hardware config. When you’re working with PC, the game is optimized for the Dev rigs and plays on many configs. It’s also nice to not have to always be upgrading parts.

Granted, if there were no consoles, games would probably be a lot better if they weren’t handicapped by hardware that’s a couple years old. Games like Division, Wildlands, Destiny 2, etc. could offer more if they weren’t tied to consoles that came out in 2014 and probably gave 2011/2012 components. 

DeadSockPuppet

Stream Machine
I just thought of this, they should make a hybrid where for like $200 you buy a box and controller and then all the processing is done in the cloud or server side. NVIDIA has a new GeForce Now program in beta where they showed a $200 laptop playing PUBG side-by-side with a $2k+ gaming laptop and it was fairly close in quality. With this kind of setup players could probably upgrade the box cheaper and the  “horsepower” could be housed on the server side. 

For those that aren’t aware of GeForce Now: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/geforce-now/mac-pc/

Advertisements