• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

PC Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

genedjr

Community Elite
OK here goes - as usual I would like feedback on the subject of gaming laptops.

My need is very simple - a 1080p 15"/17" laptop that I can use for gaming.  With TD as the example, I want at least 60FPS on high settings.

My research - 
- Tom's Hardware, youtubers, PC Mag and other reviews
- guessing at the used/refurb market
- Micro Center for a little hands on.

Right now I am debating a Acer Predator Helios 300 as it can still be had at just over $1000 (and I have a 500gb disk to through in it).  Or a refurb with a GTX 1060m.  Or ebay with at least a GTX 970m.

So for those that use a laptop for gaming - all info is welcome.

...gene

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
I think I have mentioned on other posts that I am not in the gaming laptop scene. I have know too many people who all had too many issues with them. Especially with Alienware, that has been the worst. Back when I was a Desktop Support Assistant, we had employees order Alienware laptops, and the screens ended up being dead. ASUS and MSI I have good experience with so far in other departments.

All I have to say on this. I'm sure you have put a lot of research into this subject yourself. So you may know even more than me.

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
I'm not a tech head, so not handing out advice.

I use a laptop for gaming. So, mainly interested in what is said as mine is getting old.

I do have Asus  and no complaints. Value for money and reliability go PC. Which is something you'd know any-hoo. You cant upgrade a laptop effectively, what you buy is what you get until you replace. And if something breaks...

A laptop just suits me. It really needs to suit 

genedjr

Community Elite
A laptop just suits me. It really needs to suit 
As I expect to be traveling for business again and the POS company laptop is simply not gaming capable.  So size and weight are also important.  As it will be a secondary rig - I don't really need that much.  And as a secondary rig - the $1000 price point is also a consideration.

...gene

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
As I expect to be traveling for business again and the POS company laptop is simply not gaming capable.  So size and weight are also important.  As it will be a secondary rig - I don't really need that much.  And as a secondary rig - the $1000 price point is also a consideration.

...gene
Weight wise, just don't get one of those ridiculous laptops that fit a desktop size GPU, and you'll be fine I'd think. But I'm not carrying a 12lb laptop.

genedjr

Community Elite
Dell Inspiron 15 5000 15 5000 would be a great and cheap laptop that would be awesome for you
Naw - that uses Intel integrated graphics which are very low powered.  I want GTX 1060m or better.  I have also been looking at used/refurb with GTX 980m (as well as others), but the overall packages seem to favor GTX 1060m for price/performance and at $1200 I really can't complain (less if I drop the 1TB storage as I have  500GB laying around).

Question: how do you feel about "refurb"?  I have bought "refurb" many times and am overall happy - with only one real failure.

I believe I have only a few weeks before I start traveling for business again - so I am watching daily.

...gene

Callsign_Gloves

Police dude
Naw - that uses Intel integrated graphics which are very low powered.  I want GTX 1060m or better.  I have also been looking at used/refurb with GTX 980m (as well as others), but the overall packages seem to favor GTX 1060m for price/performance and at $1200 I really can't complain (less if I drop the 1TB storage as I have  500GB laying around).

Question: how do you feel about "refurb"?  I have bought "refurb" many times and am overall happy - with only one real failure.

I believe I have only a few weeks before I start traveling for business again - so I am watching daily.

...gene
I am all for refurb. That, and the used stuff in good condition. I have yet to have a failure with anything I have gotten those ways. Of course, if the refurb price is not much less than the new price, just buy it new. Otherwise, I feel refurb is always a safe way to go. Used stuff, you just have to really pay attention. For me, it must always have images, a detailed description, and the seller has to have some reputation. I more likely to buy from a ebay seller with 4 stars and 8k reviews than the guy with 3 stars and 20 reviews.

genedjr

Community Elite
Naw - that uses Intel integrated graphics which are very low powered.  I want GTX 1060m or 
well, I sit corrected - here is a review for the dell with a 1060 6GB

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-inspiron-15-7000-gaming-laptop-max-q-gtx-1060,5456.html?utm_source=th-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180330-th

If cost were the only factor, this is a winner.  But I think for the extra $200, I would still get the Acer 300.  But great to see a real competitor at the $1K mark.

...gene

Last edited by a moderator:

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, last call here.  I am ordering this week as I am in Miami! and expect to be for the next month.
As this is mostly ust to game traveling - price and 60FPS on med+ is the low bar.

...gene

genedjr

Community Elite
OK, pulled the trigger on the Helios 300 - OMG...

If this is the low end - WOW
As this is The Division, on high, I get 60fps - period. Bench - 59.2 and I saw as low as 40 but not experiencing that in game - so far.

For other games - I get 60fps period (but those are older games).
I need to do more testing, if you need a travel rig --- WOW this is it.

The good
Everything not listed below, I am just WOW! - if you need a 1080p gaming laptop - this is it. REALLY!

The bad - 

• keyboard will take getting used to - nice feel, very different placement, for me.
  • weird screen backlight, not sure how to describe this but REALLY MINOR nit.
  • touch pad sucks, hard to control, jumpy = buy a good mouse. (hopefully Acer can fix this with software) - bought $20 MS wireless mouse - works really well.
  • weight - not sure exactly, but the power brick is 180W and huge. (I will update) So the 6lbs is not accurate. - Almost 7lbs with brick.
  • well - very minor nits - 

big and heavy - I will weight when I add the power brick - but BIG. 
  • keyboard needs better touch (double/missed keys)
  • Keyboard - and minor, but you will need to learn touch typing.

so far (10hr) I love this! excellent value.   AND it GAMES!

...gene 

(5/13 - This is a winner.  Did several 5+ hour sessions using hotel wireless and it performed flawlessly.  I have not tried to overclock it, no need IMNSHO.  You always wonder when plunking down $1140 (taxes, everyone pays taxes) if you had made the right choice.  I did.)

genedjr

Community Elite
Almost 3 month review. WOW WOW, just perfect.  My only not really a complaint  - its very heavy.

This is still Tom's HW editors choice - for a long time before I bought mine and still today (July 13).  And I could not agree more.  For 1080p/60hz/15" this is it.  And at the price, perfect ($1140 w/tax).

I added:

• MS wireless mouse, very standard, (note: the touch pad is not good at all) - add $20.
  • 1TB SSD, move all game stuff to it.  No noticeable drop in performance - add $200.
  • Cheapo ear bud set for mic/speakers - add $30
I use a controller that I use both at home and while traveling - add $0

One side note:  When I was in a bed and breakfast that did not have a desk, I tried to use this on my lap, not a good choice.  After about 2 hours it went into a real heavy throttling mode, down to just 20FPS (or less) in TD.  It confused the crap out of me.  I thought the darn thing had died.  But on your lap you restrict airflow - bad bad bad.  Once I figured that out, use a desk! (or a tray!) all is OK.

Since then, 3 more trips with hotel connectivity - I am just ecstatic!  Money splendidly well spent.

NOTE:  This is my first gaming laptop.  I had only the expectation of 1080p/60FPS on high settings - done! Exceptionally done!

...gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements