• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

Tom Clancy’s shared “universe” theory - The Divison 1 & 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
Theory:

The majority of Division Agents are “retired/deactivated” Ghost Recon Operators.

Conspircy Theory:

The Dollar Flu was an "accident" due to The Division's pending closure (expanded upon in next post).

Now, consider we take Wildlands as an isolated example and add it to The Division’s timeline. Clearly The Dollar Flu incident takes place at some point after Wildlands timeframe but not significantly later as generally guns, body armour and some equipment is similar or the same. There has been a jump in technology, or much of the SHD Tech used in the Division just wasn’t issued to Ghost Recon…which might be the case…due to one point: Chameleon Clothing.

In the latest updates for Wildlands the invisibility/Chameleon clothing was introduced. Clearly this is an available piece of gear, not given to the GR operators however (for “reasons”). The tech involved is beyond current time (2019-2020) so Wildlands is perhaps 2025+.

Assuming the $$ Flu incident occurred less than 10 years later, to allow for advancement in technology to match the level of micro and even nano technology employed in SHD tech, a timeline of 5-7 years later isn’t unthinkable based on current technological advancements.

The timeline seems to flow as follows:

Ghost Recon: Wildlands (breakdown in effective government and introduction of a “Cartel State” in Bolivia) occurs approx. 2022-2025 and assuming an operational span of AT LEAST 3 years for the Ghost Recon Operators and near the end we’re getting field tech to the level of what we have as SHD tech.

After operations due to budget cutbacks perhaps or just no foreseeable operations due to a higher general world security…most of the Ghost Recon Operators receive early retirement & deactivation on pensions.

GR Operators return to civilian life, most are in their prime (25-35 years old).

The Division as a government agency have been operating for some time but only at a low capacity, the Director of The Division sees an opportunity to expand his remit and operations with minimal expenditure and the task is approved based on this.

Ghost Recon Operators now deactivated are offered additional payment(s)/income to officially move to The Division as sleeper Agents on Reserve. With access to known weapons caches, granted ISAC communications and local training regarding Rules of Engagement and immediate tasks as well as emergency protocols.

The Division now has gained a reasonably large amount of manpower, with extensive experience of covert ops, tier 1 level military training, in their prime of effectiveness … all for a $600 monthly payment and the outlay for some reasonably outdated military weapons to go beside the already developed SHD tech.

Consider also, that most weapons and tech aren’t issued so most are held and likely outlay costs are mitigated somehow by the budgetary departments. In the Agent stories they start with a pistol and ISAC communicator only.

At this point the timeline can be anything, we can assume a couple of years whilst the new Agents integrate and go to “sleep” further than they already had, The Division slowly builds up weapon caches and SHD tech, maintaining a core of only a few active agents of high rank to maintain infrastructure.

Even considering the $$ Flu incident occurs at 2030 isn’t something impossible, even earlier might be possible. The infrastructure is there, skilled and trained Agents in place already. The Division, in the space of a few months after Wildlands is officially …. Ready.

From then on we know (most) of the rest, however, this scenario poses an immediate question. Was the Dollar Flu released intentionally as a “Test” of the effectiveness, prove the system works or to stave off closure of the department? Did it merely “get out of hand”?

…or have I been listening to Rick Velaski too much….but... I have a theory...keep watching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
The Division timeline always confused me.  I think your reasoning with vets and tech is better than I could do. 

The big hurdle for a common universe is the $ flu. If it is a pandemic, then it might be hard to cater for that in other story lines. We don't know for certainly that it is a pandemic.

We know New York was hit. And now we have Washington. Of course I've heard Washington is a swamp so maybe it is meant to look like like that.

Rick Valassi gave the impression other cities (not the little  swamp huts) have been overrun. Which was why we hadn't received much support. No smuggled cigerates. Supply drops seemed the most we saw. 

This would indicate with all probably that we have a pandemic.

Though, in West Side, there was the possibility that Rick was a gov stooge. Spreading disinformation to keep us contained. And the supply drops were Aaron Keener helping the rogues.

The spread of the infection to Washington maybe only be through the mechinations of Aaron Keener again.

So there is the possibility that this infection hasn't gone pandemic .

quinch1199

@Oh. daesu Information from various comments by developers and hints in the story of Division and Division 2 are that the pandemic has gone "global", either to a greater or lesser extent. 

Regarding the timeline, my theory is we have Ghost Recon Future Soldier occuring between Wildlands and The Division, making The Division the furthest into the future of all Tom Clancy games currently released. (obviously in my opinion). This means the $$ Flu is the "last" segment so doesn't factor in previous games but their settings feed into The Division timeline from various areas to create the technology used and setting the game is in.

With Div2 we see the flu has burnt itself out by a good few months yet the setting is ultimately a little contradictory in that we have what appears to be established government to a point, yet insufficient control over wider areas (which doesn't make much sense). There were hints in Div1 that National Guard units were used early on but withdrew leaving the JTF elements behind. In a simlar fashion in Div2 we have, so far, no indication of official military involvement yet. 

That said, its quite possible we have a setting where we've had/are having several coup d'etat's from minor government factions which is preventing a greater co-ordinated response. It would be plausable. 

quinch1199

My "tin foil hat" theory:

Aaron Keener. He was never a Ghost Recon Operator. He's 1st wave, we're aware that a good number of 1st wave Agents went Rogue alongside Keener. In my mind this clear devide between a faction in the 1st wave that went rogue and those that didn't or the 2nd/3rd waves indicates the 1st wave was primarily made of the small cadre of Division Agents who were recruited directly and before the influx of the GR operators. THESE Agents, as I've said in the previous theory, were fully employed by and fully active before the $$ flu hit. 

Lets go down a rabbit hole shall we......

The Loyalties of the majority of the 1st wave agents, those that were always "active", were to the Directorship of The Divison department first and foremost. 

After a number of years building staff, armaments, technology caches etc The Division was starting to be seen as lacking oversight, perhaps even starting to look like a more direct security threat...a well stocked, armed, independant agency deeply embedded into the civilian population? yeah, scary isnt it.

The US government thought so to.

The Director got wind of this. Its a matter of prove your worth keeping around or be closed down.

Enter Dr. Gordon Amherst's file, a brilliant but frankly bat-sh*t-crazy, scientist with a near religious zeal and the abilty to be manipulated.

The Dollar Flu strain is created under persuasion from the Division itself, though a combination of money, lab space and undercover encouragement Amherst's vision is funnelled to New York, Manhattan. 

This is a good place, its an island...therefore easily containable...contamination can be closely released at the appropriate time, via the appropriate delivey medium. We know the story of how, but why?

Fearing its own existance as an agency the Division puts into place, via its closest and most loyal agents the plan to release the flu in Manhattan. Only this way they can prove they and only they can contain and react to such a situation. 

Hubris. Hubris indeed. 

As the situation breaks down, agents loyal to the USA itself, those further from the Director start to realise THEY CAUSED THIS...the loyal agents actively go rogue at this point, hunting and taking out the internal threats. The situation spirals out of control as the flu breaks quaranteen. The Director loses contact with line agents his trusts and makes his exit leaving The Division running on more localised command structure...the regional commanders activate waves 2 and 3. and we follow the story through the game.

Keener unable to establish contact with the Director now first seeks out support locally from the LMB but only so he can escape the area himself.

Where is the former Director now? Who controls the Black Tusks? 

quinch1199

CONFIRMED BY UBISOFT! SAME UNIVERSE!

"

Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 Audio Recordings

Discover an exclusive new audio story set between the events of Tom Clancy’s The Division and Tom Clancy’s The Division 2. Hidden in the world, there are six audio recordings.

At the location of the final recording, you will find a reward to unlock."

quinch1199

What the hell! even MojoPlays on YouTube has posted this (after i posted here)...

..am I being watched?!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
Ok, as i said the Division timeline l confused.  I thought some of the other game stories were already beyond the $ flu. cool.

quinch1199

Ok, as i said the Division timeline l confused.  I thought some of the other game stories were already beyond the $ flu. cool.
At the moment, not sure how the timelines line up "Officially" but its getting increasingly obvious Ubisoft have stolen my ideas... lol 

Now, load up Wildlands tonight and got audio file hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements