• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

I think there are 3 things missing from The Division 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
I think there are 3 things missing from The Division 2 or more. 1. Is a flashlight for your weapons. 2. Is a Missile Launcher. 3. Is a MiniGun. If the enemy NPCs can have MiniGuns that are not mounted on a stand. I think we should have one also. I would like to see missile launchers as well. Plus a mounted flashlight on any weapon would help us see in dark areas.

Like seen here:

Tactical_Rifle_with_Vizeri_VZ230_Compact_Tactical_LED_Flashlight.jpgMissile Launcher.jpg

M134 Minigun.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

genedjr

Community Elite
I agree,  especially the flashlight.

But AOE weapons get really out of hand quickly.  And with limited side effects in TD2 (buildings not falling on people and plywood being OK for cover 🙂) its more a novelty.  But it would be fun!

I would also like to see knifes and bayonets.  So instead of smacking the bad guy with the butt of the weapon, you'd stick-um.

...gene

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
Melee weapons would be nice to have. I do run out ammo after awhile and have to use my pistol. I would love to carry more ammo like 1500 - 2000 rounds would be nice. But a melee weapon would come in handy like a knife or baton. 🔪

KRooKeD KRoW

Community Agent
I'd be fine without the rocket launcher (no vehicles to destroy in-game, afaik) or mini-gun (thinking our agents aren't strong enough to carry/use one), though I wouldn't be surprised if those end up as signature weapons for some of the other 3 specializations that will eventually come out.

But yes, a flashlight is a must.  So many places that are just too dark to see, and several enemies (mostly snipers, iirc) have flashlights already, as well.  Even heard friendly civilians mentioning flashlights. 

And melee would be cool, already have melee bonus to shotguns, wouldn't mind a machete, bowie knife or something an agent would actually carry.

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
They did use miniguns during the Vietnam war & again during the Gulf war. It weight here :

85 lb (39 kg) (41 lb (19 kg) lightweight mod.) The M134 Minigun is a 7.62×51mm NATO six-barrel rotary machine gun with a high, sustained rate of fire (2,000 to 6,000 rounds per minute).

Barrel length: 558.8 mm (22.00 in)

Mass: 85 lb (39 kg) (41 lb (19 kg) lightweight mod

Cartridge: 7.62×51mm NATO which is a Backpack to carry your ammo

Type: Rotary machine gun

So it would be light enough for any Agent to carry or combat soldier. As seen here:M134 Minigun.jpg

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
For the flashlight for weapons at night they use a blue tactical flashlight as seen here:

Tactical Flashlight.jpg

KRooKeD KRoW

Community Agent
We're carrying a lot of gear already. With the minigun, you wouldn't be carrying too much more than it.

But like I said, maybe it'll be a signature weapon for one of the specializations coming out later. Not that exactly, since a backpack for ammo wouldn't work with our current backpacks, but something similar

And you have to be pretty strong to carry that and hold it while firing. Not everybody would be able to. Not so sure our agents would, by the look of them.

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
The YR1 road map h8nts at specialization 4,5 & 6 just with shadow outlines. Probably no minigun just yet.

FAY1I6p_d.jpg

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
We're carrying a lot of gear already. With the minigun, you wouldn't be carrying too much more than it.

But like I said, maybe it'll be a signature weapon for one of the specializations coming out later. Not that exactly, since a backpack for ammo wouldn't work with our current backpacks, but something similar

And you have to be pretty strong to carry that and hold it while firing. Not everybody would be able to. Not so sure our agents would, by the look of them.

Not this Microgun  any Agent or Combat soldier will be able to carry this here:

• Caliber: 5.56mm
  • Barrel Length: 10″ or 16″
  • Total Gun Weight: 16 lbs (subject to change)
  • Rate of Fire: 2000/4000 (subject to change)
  • Total Length: Handheld 22″
  • Total Height: 6″
  • Total Width: 9″
  • Feed System: M-27 Linked Ammunition Belt
  • Fire Mode: Full Auto Only
  • Power Requirement: 24 Volts DC
  • Barrel Life: TBD
  • System Life: TBD
As seen here:

Microgun.jpg

KRooKeD KRoW

Community Agent
Lifting something like that for a minute, and carrying it for days AND keeping it in control while firing are completely different things. And I know the movie, one of my favorites. But again, its a movie where they just use things cuz they look cool and usually get things wrong or make them seem easier than they really are. They most likely carried one made of plastic. Also, look at the guy that carried it,  pretty big guy ( Jessie "The Body" Ventura, ex-pro wrestler and body builder... soo, big guy). Think the small guy in glasses would've managed if it was real? Also, thats just the weight of the gun itself, keep in mind, the guy needs to carry ammo for it as well, which would weigh a lot more than that.  Besides all that, theyre just not practical. Blow your load in no time flat, its essentially spray and pray, cant aim until you start firing, guy firing it is exposed making him a target. And if you watch the real sequel, Predators, the Russian guy carries one too, and just after they meet him in the beginning, he complains about the damn thing being heavy, and hes no small fry either.

The main thing im getting at is that its big and heavy, and our agents have a lot of other gear already, and it wouldnt work with the ammo pack version since we already have backpacks with our weapons and skills attached to em. 

Edit:

Just got a little curious and looked it up, while the minigun IS real and still in use, the handheld version is pure fiction... like i said above, just cuz it looks cool and movies get things wrong because of it. And for the same reasons why the minigun is impractical, the microgun project was abandoned.

KRooKeD KRoW

Community Agent
Edit:

Just got a little curious and looked it up, while the minigun IS real and still in use, the handheld version is pure fiction... like i said above, just cuz it looks cool and movies get things wrong because of it. And for the same reasons why the minigun is impractical, the microgun project was abandoned.
Can't ever seem to find the edit option on PC, edited before from mobile and it takes too long to type anything.... (found edit after finishing, guess I just can't edit something on PC that I posted via mobile)

Looked into the microgun further as well, didn't read much on it before when they were developing it.  It's lighter than the minigun, yes, but still required a 2 man team just to carry it.  Just like the M2 Browning, they carried it, then mounted it before using it.  The recoil is unmanagable without it mounted. 

Movies would use real miniguns, but slow down the rate of fire and use blanks to make it more manageable.  Even so, only body builders were able to use it for short periods of time, and that was with the ammo and power source being fed from off screen.

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
Lifting something like that for a minute, and carrying it for days AND keeping it in control while firing are completely different things. And I know the movie, one of my favorites. But again, its a movie where they just use things cuz they look cool and usually get things wrong or make them seem easier than they really are. They most likely carried one made of plastic. Also, look at the guy that carried it,  pretty big guy ( Jessie "The Body" Ventura, ex-pro wrestler and body builder... soo, big guy). Think the small guy in glasses would've managed if it was real? Also, thats just the weight of the gun itself, keep in mind, the guy needs to carry ammo for it as well, which would weigh a lot more than that.  Besides all that, theyre just not practical. Blow your load in no time flat, its essentially spray and pray, cant aim until you start firing, guy firing it is exposed making him a target. And if you watch the real sequel, Predators, the Russian guy carries one too, and just after they meet him in the beginning, he complains about the damn thing being heavy, and hes no small fry either.

The main thing im getting at is that its big and heavy, and our agents have a lot of other gear already, and it wouldnt work with the ammo pack version since we already have backpacks with our weapons and skills attached to em. 

Edit:

Didn't you see the Microgun above which weights 16 lbs and has a 10 - 16 " inch barrel. It's just like a Minigun.....but with a lot less weight and easy to carry. As seen here:

image.png

KRooKeD KRoW

Community Agent
49 minutes ago, Malcolm Kocinski said:

Didn't you see the Microgun above which weights 16 lbs and has a 10 - 16 " inch barrel. It's just like a Minigun.....but with a lot less weight and easy to carry. As seen here:

View attachment 1710

Guess I was still typing my post about the micro-gun when you started replying, although I did mention in that same post you quoted that the microgun is also impractical for the same reasons.  That weight you said is without the ammo, it weights about 85lbs (38.5kg) with just 1000 rounds of ammo.  For the same reasons as the mini-gun, it's not practical to have a handheld version.  On top of that, the microgun didn't perform nearly as well as they had hoped, so they scrapped it... many, many years ago.

KRooKeD KRoW

Community Agent
 Since the prototype came out in 2017. I looked online to see if anything about Microgun ever being scraped.There's nothing  anywhere online that the Microgun was ever scraped. That I could find. But this website could tell you more about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM214_Microgun
That's the one I was reading this morning, read further on where it says Promotion and Reception.  They talk about how and why it was scrapped. Also, the years it was available from the manufacturer (nobody wanted it) ended in the 90s.   Designed in 1966, produced from 70s-90s.  Someone probably found it  somewhere, made a video, and tried to pass it off as new technology. Also, watch the guy in the video.  See how much it kicks from just firing for 2 seconds (which uses up 100 rounds, so for any practical application, you'd have to carry at least several thousand rounds, little heavy for your average soldier).

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
That's the one I was reading this morning, read further on where it says Promotion and Reception.  They talk about how and why it was scrapped. Also, the years it was available from the manufacturer (nobody wanted it) ended in the 90s.  
Well that's the one from the 1990's. The one I'm talking about is a prototype  from 2017 that they are still working on even today.

KRooKeD KRoW

Community Agent
Well that's the one from the 1990's. The one I'm talking about is a prototype  from 2017 that they are still working on even today.
Ok, looked further into it, so the one from that video where he fires 100 rounds in 2 seconds is actually the XM556.  That one looks like it's still in development, so probably won't make it into a game that's using current weapons only. Still, there remain the issues of how impractical it is.  And, according to the below link, no military is currently testing it, so sounds like nobody wants that one either... though it is a fandom wiki, so no telling how accurate it is.

https://guns.fandom.com/wiki/Aeroknox_XM556

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
Ok, looked further into it, so the one from that video where he fires 100 rounds in 2 seconds is actually the XM556.  That one looks like it's still in development, so probably won't make it into a game that's using current weapons only. Still, there remain the issues of how impractical it is.  And, according to the below link, no military is currently testing it, so sounds like nobody wants that one either... though it is a fandom wiki, so no telling how accurate it is.

https://guns.fandom.com/wiki/Aeroknox_XM556
Since it's a prototype in still in development. They would have to get clearance from the military to get them to see a demonstration on how it works,weight,& fires first before they would buy one. That could take some time maybe years  & doing paperwork and showing demos. Then later if the military is interested in buying one. The company that makes Microgun would have to draw up  (with lawyers) a contract to put it into mass production for the military. After it's fully tested & pass inspection first. It does mean that the military isn't interested. It hasn't gone through the process yet after full development is finished.

KRooKeD KRoW

Community Agent
It could still get picked up by a military in the future, yes, especially if they fixed the issues GE had with the older one.

Back on topic... lol...  While a minigun or microgun would be cool, if even just as a signature weapon,  its just something that doesnt interest me personally.  Mostly for the same reasons i never hop on the fixed emplacements, leaves you too exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements