• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

It's not always AI that run a few of these NPCs but some humans do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
It's not always AI's that run the NPCs humans do. I don't know if you believe me or not. I seen this in many multiplayer online video games. I saw these statue like people standing around in many multiplayer video games. I believe Ubisoft has hired other video game players professionals or not to run their NPCs in game that AI's can't do. That's why a lot of us players get beat in game a lot. No matter how fair,good, & great players we are. We still wonder how we get beat so easily. Well it not a better AI that beat us it's a better player that uses the NPCs that beats us. I seen these statue like people all through The Division 1 & 2.  As seen here:4-16-2019_4-20-52_AM-Dummy 1.jpg4-16-2019_4-21-05_AM-Dummy 2.jpg4-16-2019_4-21-15_AM-Dummy 3.jpg

Don't you ever wonder why there's so many of these in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
You know, you could be right. Because I was trying to take a landmark last night and someone was spamming me with bomb drones!  

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
Every time I play against a Hunter I think this to be honest but ....

..."Fixed an issue where enemy NPCs could get stuck in a T-pose when being killed out of view."

Patch notes from restart 16th April. 

That said, I'd LOVE to find out the advanced Ai in the better games like this one turn out to be a secret hive of actual players hired by games companies!

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
You know, you could be right. Because I was trying to take a landmark last night and someone was spamming me with bomb drones!  
One time I spotted one of these that didn't move and I thought it was statue at first. Well I walked away and heard a noise then I turn around and I saw it move. Right after that he duck into cover and started to shoot at me. Well I had to shoot back & it almost killed me. But I manage to kill him first. It was very strange?!!

quinch1199

YIKES!! Sounds like Ai getting a little "too" intelligent to me *scary*

Personally I'd like to be an NPC in some of the games I play... come'on Ubisoft...pay me to be a quest giver! (D&D Dream come true)

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
YIKES!! Sounds like Ai getting a little "too" intelligent to me *scary*

Personally I'd like to be an NPC in some of the games I play... come'on Ubisoft...pay me to be a quest giver! (D&D Dream come true)
All I can say if it's an AI and  not an human player. How come it acts more like a human than AI. When it moves more like a human would.When tries to ambush you. Plus when they just standing  there like a statue. Many times I seen it's eyes & sometimes it's hands move. Can you answer that ??

quinch1199

All I can say if it's an AI and  not an human player. How come it acts more like a human than AI. When it moves more like a human would.When tries to ambush you. Plus when they just standing  there like a statue. Many times I seen it's eyes & sometimes it's hands move. Can you answer that ??
Not even slightly, as I said with the Hunters in particular I still have this niggling in my mind they're PC's and not NPC's. I wonder how we could find out though?? I want to know, step into the Matrix kinda on this. 

I mean, it might even be economical sense. Spend a ton developing an advanced Ai or pay a Chinese farming company to employ "players" for NPC roles 24/7 over 3 years? 

I think the Chinese option works out not only cheaper or equal but with a better effect in the game perhaps? 

Its a valid question & suspicion you've voiced for sure! 

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
Not even slightly, as I said with the Hunters in particular I still have this niggling in my mind they're PC's and not NPC's. I wonder how we could find out though?? I want to know, step into the Matrix kinda on this. 

I mean, it might even be economical sense. Spend a ton developing an advanced Ai or pay a Chinese farming company to employ "players" for NPC roles 24/7 over 3 years? 

I think the Chinese option works out not only cheaper or equal but with a better effect in the game perhaps? 

Its a valid question & suspicion you've voiced for sure! 
Well this is not my first time seeing this. In many multiplayer games only I have seen this. Like Fallout 76,Call of  Duty multiplayer series,& many Tom Clancy's multiplayer games. I started to see things like this in the very first The Division 1. I shot & killed an NPC at that time over a year ago. I looked at NPC laying there on the ground dead and notice his eyes were wide open and looking right at me. Believe it or not the eyes moved as I moved.Sometimes his head & eyes would move as it was looking at me to see what I would do next. I'm not joking  or making this up I saw what I saw!! It's very,very strange.....but not scary to me....just weird !!

quinch1199

Unfortunately, I guess the biggest argument against any of the Ai being real players is that each players game world is individual. Its not a shared environment...so for each player (several hundred thousand at a time), Ubisoft would have to employ a handful of people to run the NPC's. 

Unfortunately, if you do the maths you'll see its a non-starter. 

If the game had a fully shared open world, like WoW, it could work. 

genedjr

Community Elite
interesting thought, but its an AI.  As noted each team is a separate game instance so if the NPCs were humans thousands of people would be needed to play NPCs.

http://www.gamasutra.com/

These folks talk alot of game development and game AI.  Kinda interesting, but very techie.

...gene

Oh. daesu

agent provocateur
Actually, the upcoming patch notes mentions the AI's aggressiveness. I hope their not going to lessen that. Less spongey, but don't kill the AI tactics. Though could be another issue.

(Normally AI occupy an area and take a while to move up when you don't. Some bosses will rapidly move up straight off the bat on you, using cover and then use their better time to kill within 5m. Like a player)

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
I don't think you realize just how advanced AI has gotten over the past 10 years. 

Computer AI have been not just beating but absolutely destroying the best chess players in the world for years now.

Cars are being driven by AI.

Google has been using AI for a large portion of its search algorithm for about 2 years now. 

Hiring players to control NPC's would be an utter waste of money for Ubisoft. No way they would even consider it. There is no need for it.

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
Are you really going to keep down voting every post I make. Are you really that childish?
Are you going to keep on bothering me. Even if I ask you not too on each post I write. I told you not use my quotes & I told you to leave it at that.  I write in bold to see it better. Who being childish here....It's not me.

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
Are you going to keep on bothering me. Even if I ask you not too on each post I write. I told you not use my quotes & I told you to leave it at that.  I write in bold to see it better. Who being childish here....It's not me.
I'm not bothering you. It's  a discussion forum. I can participate in any thread I choose to.

If you want to keep down voting, that's fine. Just remember you have a heck of a lot more posts to down vote than I do.

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
I'm not bothering you. It's  a discussion forum. I can participate in any thread I choose to.

If you want to keep down voting, that's fine. Just remember you have a heck of a lot more posts to down vote than I do.
I told you I'm not here to fight or argue. I down voted you because I didn't like what you said to me in your posts.

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
I told you I'm not here to fight or argue. I down voted you because I didn't like what you said to me in your posts.
Really? So you down voted the post above where I pointed out some of the amazing advances AI is making as an explanation for what you are seeing in the game? 

What didn't you like about that? 

Or was it the fact that I pointed out hiring an army of gamers to control a bunch of NPC's would cost a ridiculous amount of money and something no game developer would ever consider?

It's a discussion forum for christ's sake. Not everyone is going to share your view. If everyone agreed with everyone, there would be nothing to discuss. 

So if you disagree with something I said above, make your case. Show me where I am wrong. Do that instead of going around digging up all my posts and down voting all of them.

Malcolm Kocinski

Community Elite
Really? So you down voted the post above where I pointed out some of the amazing advances AI is making as an explanation for what you are seeing in the game? 

What didn't you like about that? 

Or was it the fact that I pointed out hiring an army of gamers to control a bunch of NPC's would cost a ridiculous amount of money and something no game developer would ever consider?

It's a discussion forum for christ's sake. Not everyone is going to share your view. If everyone agreed with everyone, there would be nothing to discuss. 

So if you disagree with something I said above, make your case. Show me where I am wrong. Do that instead of going around digging up all my posts and down voting all of them.
That's right it a discussion forum. But your going beyond that. Your taking into the next step by turning this into a toxic forum. I told you more than once I don't want to fight or argue. But kept on and on posting me.Even if I like it or not.That's end of this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements