• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

So there is no general chat in the game? and other problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL Gamer

Community Member
After typing in a message into the chat this message appears:

Chat channel has not been joined. However you can still send whispers to other players.
Since there is no actual chat channels at all then why even have that message. If there are chat channels then how come there is no information on them anywhere. And yes I looked for some list and there isn't any.

I also have no clue why a game of this magnitude has no instructions in it anywhere that explains every mechanic step by step. Here are some problems I foundAside from the starting pistol, do you even have any other guns?

Is there some form of inventory or not?

What's the deal with crafted items. I saw this listed on the character screen, yet never once saw a single thing about it mentioned anywhere in the game so far.

I personally have found the map pointless because it hasn't had anything on it explained, broken down to the player as to what is what, you're just somehow supposed to instantly know everything about it. Who thought this was a good idea. how about some basic instruction to the map instead of not even mentioning anything to the player and saying here is your map...good luck.

There isn't any information about the HUD which is a huge major no no when making a game that has one. How about a fully detailed explanation to what everything is on the HUD along with a fully detailed explanation as to an example of it's use.

I have a ton more issues I ran into but i want to see the types of replies people here will give as that will determine if I'm wasting my time posting anything on this forum about this game.

I arrived at this section in the game as shown in the screenshot. Without any information, instruction, or explanation to anything, I've put in then magically expected to know what anything on this screen means and is as well as what exactly am i supposed to be doing.

1: Defend the settlement is pointless when it's not even explained where that is as well as who or what Agent De La Cruz is.

2: All the number 1's I have circled in the screenshot need to be explained as to what those are and mean.

3: The red circle with 3 in it needs an entire breakdown and explanation to what every single one of those icons mean.

And those are just the beginning. I shouldn't have to ask what anything on this screen means because me as a player should have already been explained it all in detail in step by step information by the developers of the game.

Division 2.jpg

Division 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
I'm not sure why you are seeing that message about the chat. My guess is it is something in your settings though. 

As for in-game instructions, there are quite a few tutorials that explain things as you encounter them. In your settings, you may have turned tutorials off and that would probably leave a brand new player feeling pretty lost.

Yes you do have another weapon when you start besides your pistol and the opening tutorial explains how to switch weapons. By default, it is the number keys 1,2, and 3 or you can use the mouse scroll wheel.

As for the HUD, honestly it was so long ago that I started playing these games that I do not remember what the game tells you or doesn't tell you about what is in your HUD. Most of it I believe is pretty intuitive if you have played a shooter before.

TL Gamer

Community Member
Anyone that posts a reply with blanket statements are trolls and I refuse to talk to them. I'm really tired of how every time problems are brought up about game not having any form of actual instructions, all anyone does is say there are instructions or the game has plenty of information. The people who say that are always the ones who live in the game so they think it's explained. they then use some dumb comment about how people they know had no problems and other such nonsense. They also start up with the whole it's how all shooters are, not getting the concept that comment has no bearing on anything the game still needs the instructions for itself. Other games have no bearing on this one. The ever famous you shut off tutorials is another crutch statement people like using.

I also ask for video evidence or even a screenshot of where this so called mysterious and non-existent information is. and I want to see the exact sentence HERE IS YOUR OTHER GUN NOW PRESS (insert keybind) to access it.

and instead of getting that I'm met with either some unrelated comment, or a comment of no one can be this dumb, or they will put something on the screen that has no relation to any actual explanation then try to pass it off as it does.

So rather than debate with trolls I will just block them. I asked for in game information, not someone's opinion on their viewpoint.

Example nowhere from the time I entered the game to that point I am in in the screenshot does it ever mention about any other gun except the starter pistol. yet Prvt3Jok3r  is under the misguided delusion it does. His opinion is being used just because he's been playing the game sop long he only thinks it does. But even if they went and created a new character and went from the start, they will still say the information exists (even though it doesn't) because they cannot get their opinion of how to do it out of the statement. I can make a video showing it doesn't and that video will be discredited.And then creates arguments.

how about make a tutorial instead of saying they are in the game and saying things that don't actually exist as if they do and not helping.

TL Gamer

Community Member
The beginning tutorial does mention switching guns between keys 1/2/3. Though it isn't clear you have an extra weapon to slot in the first place.
I could make a video showing there is no such instruction, and people will still say there is a tutorial. I need help and explanations and instructions, not replies that do nothing.

Everything I've asked and shown in that screenshot isn't explained. People saying there is some tutorial is not only false, but more importantly has nothing to do with anything in this topic because saying there is some tutorial, isn't answering a single question I've asked.

Next is going to be people using this reply about me pointing out no one is helping as ammunition to them not wanting to help. Which is again is what I want to find out about people on this forum. Do people really want to help or more in tuned with drama. and this entire topic ill go south, and it's all because no one can read something and answer it.

This game is just as bad as the Division 1. I wound up playing the Division 1 for 5 hours with just the starting pistol before someone asked me why I haven't used any other guns. I replied I didn't use any other guns because I was never even told I had one, never mind how to know I had one, or how to switch to it.

Furthermore the map in part 1 was unreadable, I also gave up on whatever wings were, and something about a base...I just gave up.

The division 2 is just more of the same unexplained broken crap.

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
Anyone that posts a reply with blanket statements are trolls and I refuse to talk to them. I'm really tired of how every time problems are brought up about game not having any form of actual instructions, all anyone does is say there are instructions or the game has plenty of information. The people who say that are always the ones who live in the game so they think it's explained. they then use some dumb comment about how people they know had no problems and other such nonsense. They also start up with the whole it's how all shooters are, not getting the concept that comment has no bearing on anything the game still needs the instructions for itself. Other games have no bearing on this one. The ever famous you shut off tutorials is another crutch statement people like using.

I also ask for video evidence or even a screenshot of where this so called mysterious and non-existent information is. and I want to see the exact sentence HERE IS YOUR OTHER GUN NOW PRESS (insert keybind) to access it.

and instead of getting that I'm met with either some unrelated comment, or a comment of no one can be this dumb, or they will put something on the screen that has no relation to any actual explanation then try to pass it off as it does.

So rather than debate with trolls I will just block them. I asked for in game information, not someone's opinion on their viewpoint.

Example nowhere from the time I entered the game to that point I am in in the screenshot does it ever mention about any other gun except the starter pistol. yet Prvt3Jok3r  is under the misguided delusion it does. His opinion is being used just because he's been playing the game sop long he only thinks it does. But even if they went and created a new character and went from the start, they will still say the information exists (even though it doesn't) because they cannot get their opinion of how to do it out of the statement. I can make a video showing it doesn't and that video will be discredited.And then creates arguments.

how about make a tutorial instead of saying they are in the game and saying things that don't actually exist as if they do and not helping.
I was just pointing out a few things to try to help you. No reason to go apeshit.

I mentioned the tutorials. They are popup instructions that occur throughout the game when new systems are encountered. I'm not talking about the opening segment of the game. All I was suggesting was that maybe you turned those tutorials off. I didn't see the screenshots before. Now that I'm seeing them, I am pretty sure you are too early in the game to have encountered any of the tutorials I'm talking about. You will encounter them at appropriate times for things like the crafting station.

And the game definitely does tell you how to switch weapons. Later when you start picking up loot it will also tell you to press 'I' to bring up your inventory.

As for your questions about the screenshot not being answered, the screenshots were not there when I posted my reply. To answer some of your questions... Nope. The boundary of the settlement is not clearly defined. It is just kind of assumed. You can certainly argue that it is bad game design. If you tried running away, you would get a message that you are leaving the mission area.

The numbers in the red circles are the enemy levels.  The "01" at the top right is your level.

As for the orange circle... the white boxes are your armor. The orange line under that is your health. The 30 and 420 is how many rounds you have in your current mag and how many rounds you have remaining for that weapon. The grenade and medical icons are grenades and medkits. The other two numbers are how many rounds are loaded into your other main weapon and your sidearm. When you unlock skills, they will show up where the X's are.

Good luck.

TL Gamer

Community Member
I was just pointing out a few things to try to help you. No reason to go apeshit.

I mentioned the tutorials. They are popup instructions that occur throughout the game when new systems are encountered. I'm not talking about the opening segment of the game. All I was suggesting was that maybe you turned those tutorials off.
I suggest you learn what the definition of TUTORIAL is because you're way off. And i wasn't even aware there was a shut off/in option for any pop ups because even that wasn't mentioned anywhere for a player to possibly know that.

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
I suggest you learn what the definition of TUTORIAL is because you're way off. And i wasn't even aware there was a shut off/in option for any pop ups because even that wasn't mentioned anywhere for a player to possibly know that.
I'm not off. Read my edited reply. At the point where your screenshot is, you just weren't far enough to have encountered the ones I mentioned. 

TL Gamer

Community Member
The numbers in the red circles are the enemy levels.  The "01" at the top right is your level. 

As for the orange circle... the white boxes are your armor. The orange line under that is your health. The 30 and 420 is how many rounds you have in your current mag and how many rounds you have remaining for that weapon. The grenade and medical icons are grenades and medkits. The other two numbers are how many rounds are loaded into your other main weapon and your sidearm. When you unlock skills, they will show up where the X's are.
The obvious question about that is where did you pull all that information from? None of what you said in the qoute above is mentioned any place in the entire game so how can you even post that as a reply. The information you're posting requires HOW you even know that and where you got that information from

Again nothing you said about that is mentioned anywhere in the game at all.

TL Gamer

Community Member
I'm not off. Read my edited reply. At the point where your screenshot is, you just weren't far enough to have encountered the ones I mentioned. 
Then you shouldn't be posting a reply as if I didn't pay attention to something that was never even mentioned then act like I'm going ape when i point out what you said isn't correct.

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
The obvious question about that is where did you pull all that information from? None of what you said in the qoute above is mentioned any place in the entire game so how can you even post that as a reply. The information you're posting requires HOW you even know that and where you got that information from

Again nothing you said about that is mentioned anywhere in the game at all.
I've been playing since the first game. I honestly do not remember where or how it is explained. 

I'm not here to defend the game design. It definitely has flaws. I'm just trying to answer your questions and help you out. If all you want to do is rant against the game design, that's fine. Just let me know and I will leave you to it.

TL Gamer

Community Member
I'll just say this, everything you post a reply about what to do is going to be met with a reply from me saying what you posted isn't mentioned anywhere in the game so where are you getting your information from. Unless you can provide actual in game on screen messages, then as far as I'm concerned, you're just making it up.

Saying it's in the game via your opinion, doesn't make it true.

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
Then you shouldn't be posting a reply as if I didn't pay attention to something that was never even mentioned then act like I'm going ape when i point out what you said isn't correct.
First of all, you were going apeshit on two of us who were doing nothing but trying to help you out.

Second, yep. I made a mistake not realizing you were not far enough into the game to have seen any of the pop-up tutorials. In my defense though, those screenshots were not there until you edited the post. I assumed you were farther along than that. Most people play the game for longer than 3 minutes before heading to a forum to complain about it. 

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
I'll just say this, everything you post a reply about what to do is going to be met with a reply from me saying what you posted isn't mentioned anywhere in the game so where are you getting your information from. Unless you can provide actual in game on screen messages, then as far as I'm concerned, you're just making it up.

Saying it's in the game via your opinion, doesn't make it true.
So you weren't here actually looking for help. You just want to complain about the game. That's fine. Have at it.

Good luck to you.

TL Gamer

Community Member
I've been playing since the first game. I honestly do not remember where or how it is explained. 

I'm not here to defend the game design. It definitely has flaws. I'm just trying to answer your questions and help you out. If all you want to do is rant against the game design, that's fine. Just let me know and I will leave you to it.
You don't get to take a topic I made asking for very specific help and reply with false statements, that when i call you out on it and say don't post that, to as if it's some rant

I asked for help on how to do things. So far this has turned into a debate about tutorials not being in the game and people shouldn't be saying things like that which are unrelated and untrue.

TL Gamer

Community Member
So you weren't here actually looking for help. You just want to complain about the game. That's fine. Have at it.

Good luck to you.
Again you didn't help you turned me asking for specifics on how to do something and to explain things I have in a screenshot and you have managed to turn this  into a debate about tutorials which your now trying to say i don't' want help I just want to complain.

If i ask for help and to explain something do not come back with there is a tutorial. Then say because I'm keeping the topic on track I'm just here to complain.

I'm complaining about your inability to not be able to read properly and actually provide the help I've asked for.

If someone asks what is 3x3? the only reply anyone should make is 9 without anything extra added.

You do not reply with anything side from that such as you can use a calculator or didn't you go to math class or any other crap. They asked for an answer, now what you think they can use or your opinion about their skills in math. Just answer the question instead of causing problems with idiotic replies then using that to create even more problems and acting like the person confronting you doesn't want help. Don't matter if there is or isn't a tutorial, no one asked that.

People want direct help, not opinions and useless replies.

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
Just keep playing. It all gets explained in the game. 

For example, you said the game doesn't tell you how to change weapons. It does.

This is a video someone did on PlayStation, but at 12:07 you will see the instruction pop up on how to switch weapons. Same thing happens on PC. There are probably better videos out there showing this, but I'm not searching for them. This is the mission right after the opening that you posted screenshots of.

TL Gamer

Community Member
Unless that video was created by the game developers themselves and or someone on the development team then I'm not interested in another player's  input. This is about the game developers need to stop taking the easy way out with their games. Player videos just excuses being made for bad programming and lazy development. Furthermore you don't have a forum then send people way from the forum to go over what should be on the forum. Seems like players fail on this end that having a forum and telling people to go outside the forum is the same exact thing as having a game then telling people to leave the game to get the information that should have been in the game.

People always have a major problem when I say that, which means they're totally missing the entire concept of a game is bought to be played. A game is not bought only to have it turned into schoolwork, which is what looking up how to do anything outside the game is doing.

The concept people need to star getting through their head is that a game developer creates a game and it is on them and them alone to make sure it's explained so anyone going through it does not have to leave the game once in it to get an answer/instruction/explanation on how to do something.

Somehow gamers have just rolled over and accepted the "it can be looked up" line of crap.

If all people want to do is say I'm not really looking for help or don't want help because the information is supposed to be coming from the game designers but instead only want to focus on me not looking something up has ignored the issue.

That isn't a debate or opinion, it's a straight up fact.

This is why I don't buy games anymore, I'm not going to feed money into half-ass products that the game designers have taken the easy way out on. If a game designer cannot explain their game properly with a real tutorial, I will pirate it or simply not play it because it's not ever part of the games structure. You aren't buying the license to do schoolwork and it's not ever part of what you pay for. It's also not part of the TOS and EULA you agree to when buying the license.

Anyone that doesn't understand the simple concept of you buy a game to play it, not to have to leave the game to look up something the game devs didn't bother explaining as far as basic mechanics. Saying it's assumed or common sense or figure it out or other nonsense comments players like to say has no relevance to this issue. Gamers need to quit passing off games as schoolwork as if that's what they're for. The only time something should ever have to be looked up is the answer to something the game asks, not for how to use basic mechanics.

Gamers also need to stop with the comments of did you look into the controls or didn't you play the first one as if that is some form of valid counter argument.

Prvt3Jok3r

Community Veteran
Unless that video was created by the game developers themselves and or someone on the development team then I'm not interested in another player's  input. This is about the game developers need to stop taking the easy way out with their games. Player videos just excuses being made for bad programming and lazy development. Furthermore you don't have a forum then send people way from the forum to go over what should be on the forum. Seems like players fail on this end that having a forum and telling people to go outside the forum is the same exact thing as having a game then telling people to leave the game to get the information that should have been in the game.
Just look at the video. It wasn't some player giving his input. At the time point that I mentioned, a message pops up in the game telling you exactly how to switch weapons. That's what you wanted. Proof that the game instructed you how to do it.

As for the second half of your comment, this is a fan forum. It's not a forum sponsored by the developers.

TL Gamer

Community Member
The instruction is in that video isn't relevant. The fact is where I am in that screenshot is a mess. you're thrown into it. The first one did the same exact thing) The basics of the games function haven't even been explained yet, and unless there is messages from the game designers in the game onscreen as to what exactly is going on and some of the HUD , then there is nothing a player is supposed to be doing at all in that area.

Unless the game says what to do which it doesn't (Defend the area isn't valid because the player is not even told HOW or where that area even is) A player is not supposed to have played the first one or look something like this up in a video.

In the beginning of a game like where I am any game designer is supposed to inform the player on exactly what is going on. Since they don't then you cannot blame a player for not doing anything. I'm also sick to death of gamers saying why didn't you try this or why didn't you do that as if that is a valid comment. The question isn't why didn't someone try something, the question is why are people even trying anything.

No one should be doing anything at the point I am in the screenshot except standing around. Players who go ahead and try things are 100% in the wrong. Because nowhere is a player told to do anything. You cannot use what you personally choose to do to over ride and get around the fact the game hasn't told anyone to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements