• Greetings, Agents! Welcome to the The Division Forums. It looks like you're looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division 3, but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more.

The Dark Zone – Simply Put: Why its broken, what’s the fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinch1199

Dwarven Lord Under The Mountain
Below are my thoughts on this, often, touchy subject. I’ve taken a long look at the concept and execution of the Dark Zone and its gameplay and have come to the conclusions below as to why it so harshly divides the community, why it should work and why it doesn’t work.

Perception:

Firstly, the learning curve is drastic! Unless you have great knowledge of the game meta, builds etc any PvP you face in the DZ will be very one sided. I see Players who are more used to PvE constantly complain as they don’t understand how they’re toon can be killed so rapidly…fact is they’ve only faced Ai…usually never tried a Legendary or Heroic mission, maybe never faced a Hunter in Survival. They don’t realise and have never had the experience of PvP. They’re build isn’t optimised for PvP. They fail, get killed constantly and, seemingly, too fast for it to be allowed in the game…must be hacks, exploits, cheaters… the DZ is full of cheaters clearly…crappy game.

…see? Their perception is that the DZ is where all the Cheaters go, it’s a broken area and “Why can’t we just have a PvE Dark Zone?”

What went wrong:

Inexperience. That’s where it went wrong. Massive came with practically zero experience building a PvP arena style game, they didn’t do their research. They knew what and how they wanted things to go but forgot the first law of MMO's.

-          If players will be dicks in an online game, and they will do all they can to be the biggest dicks they can be.

Suddenly you have players camping extraction zones. Spending dedicated hours creating meta builds and exploiting every loophole possible in the game mechanics. Players deliberately running into your shots so you go Rogue by accident … basically being huge Trolls and suddenly Massives' lovely game is broken to pieces. It's not how they wanted the play to develop. Players just weren't playing the game by the rules they wanted them to. 

How does it get better:

The first step forward was subcontracting out development of the DZ and PvP to Red Storm. A development house with ACTUAL MMO PvP experience. Drawback is that how Massive built the DZ, how they built all the game mechanics meant that Red Storm have a HUGE uphill struggle. They’re constrained by the source coding deep in the game.

Bottom line the Dark Zone will NEVER actually be “fixed”. There will always be some element of “broken” about it as it can’t be rebuilt from the bottom up. I say this as I'm pretty sure it would have been by now...this strongly means its just not possible. 

However, Red Storm have shown us how things could have been … firstly with Last Stand and now with Skirmish Mode.

The key was shown as Normalisation.

You can enter the mode with any build you want, meta'd to any level, but stats will be normalised…levelled out. Yes, there are still ways to exploit some builds but these are far more minor than the whole concern around the DZ. In Last Stand for example I’ve gone in with pure PvE builds and whilst I’ve not done very well, I’ve not had players kill me in one shot as they could in the DZ.

I believe normalisation was the solution I proposed very soon after the game released (somewhere on these forums long ago). The reason it’s not been implemented into the DZ still, and it appears never will, are clearly due to the fact the bottom layers of core coding to build the DZ are focused on the same coding as the LZ and this will always prevent the obvious solution. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the players neither have the experience or knowledge of how games are actually built and how such early choices in game mechanics can influence areas of game play.

All they see, all they vocalise, is that the game is broken.

It’s true, it is…in that area but its broken BECAUSE the LZ isn’t broken, for the very same reason that the Light Zone is fun, makes the Dark Zone horrible for many.

Red Storm can improve the situation. I also believe that modes such as Last Stand and Skirmish have been built DELIBERATELY to try to move gameplay focus out of the DZ…to lessen the number of dedicated PvP players in the Dark Zone artificially. Less players with the PvP meta builds physically in the DZ, ultimately the better for PvE players entering the DZ.

The Logic is simple if flawed. Flawed because of course… First Law of MMO's: People will be dicks.

Those who want to be dicks will realise exactly that there are less skilled, tooled up, players in the DZ…that the chances of running into a player who can face them down will be far less.

…so less wolves =  more prey. There will be a period of quiet as PvP players migrate to the new game modes but ultimately you will face a meta-gamer again.

Conclusion:

The Dark Zone is broken, long live Last Stand and Skirmish. PvE players ought to realise that there are far more PvE opportunities in the game and either visit the DZ rarely or take the hits more on the chin.

The DZ won’t and shouldn’t be a safe place, unfortunately it will also never be a FAIR place. Red Storm can help to modify some issues but they're bandaids over a big wound. 

However, I don't see the Dark Zone as a failure. What it doesn't do is explain to players exactly what it is and how it works...sure it "tells" them...but clearly the full implications of it are not understood or there wouldn't be any issue, would there? Despite doing exactly what it says on the tin, I think the fact there are PvE elements in the DZ lead many to neglect the warnings or just choose to not understand them. 

Game on people….

genedjr

Community Elite
Thanks quinch.

The only issue I have with the dark zone is as a PvE type, I still have to spend time there to clear the weekly for the cache.  I agree its getting better but I saw a you tube vid of guys just camping out at an DZ entrance wacking players as they came in.  Childish, but totally legal.

I like the changes I see for 1.8, especially friendly fire changes as this has cost me a few deaths already  :1_grinning: .

game on...

...gene

quinch1199

guys just camping out at an DZ entrance wacking players as they came in.
The PvP toggle option was introduced pretty much SPECIFICALLY due to this issue. It means players can't just lay in wait in the open at entrances, the idea is they'll show up as Rogues on your map before you even enter so you will just move to another entrance. 

It's looking like the introduction of the Docks in 1.8 is a deliberate attempt to move PvE players out of the Dark Zone...as so far I've found the rewards are the same (including Div Tech), what I'm not sure of yet is if there will be weekly or daily caches specific to the area. If there was then it becomes a valid option for PvE players to ignore the DZ entirely. 

Not only that but the introduction of dedicated PvP Skirmish mode is aimed at taking some of the dedicated PvP players out of the DZ also. 

Trouble is, if these all work "as intended" all that will be left in the DZ are gankers and glitchers! Perhaps that's for the best before we hit 2.0

Jaypeg

Community Veteran
I have mixed feelings about the dz, part of me thinks just leave it alone but add some protection barriers, so that you can't get ganked at a checkpoint. The other part of me can't wait for the changes but I'm looking at it from a purely PVE perspective. 

People are still going to go rogue , that won't change , just better chance for you to act on it now. 

You play a PVE build against a pvp build and you will more than likely go down. 

At the same time , it's nice that they are looking at it from the PVE perespective...how many things have been nerfed because of pvp.

quinch1199

People are still going to go rogue , that won't change , just better chance for you to act on it now.
What I like, and what many people have missed, is that they've finally given structure to "Going Rogue" now. Not only does it now have to always be a conscious action, but the new Man Hunt has an actual goal and a scenario where one side actively wins! 

Gone are the days of just running a timer out. Now if you're a Rogue you have a target to aim for, know when and how you can win and can control when you loose Rogue status completely.

Not only does it encourage CONSTRUCTIVE activity in Going Rogue but gives ISAC Agents structured gameplay to which to fight the Rogues.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisements